|Tuesday, 18 December 2018|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 17-08-10
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 153/17 10.08.17
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Turkey's MFA condemns the statement by the Greek MFA regarding the "celebrations" for the 1964 Turkey's bombing of Cyprus Tylliria regionTurkey's Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued the following press release condemning the statement by the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs regarding the "celebrations" by the breakaway regime for the 1964 Turkey's bombing of Cyprus Tylliria region, (09.08.17,http://www.mfa.gov.tr/no-256-yunanistan-dbnin-8-agustos-tarihli-bir-aciklamasinda-yeralan-bazi-asilsiz-iddialar-hken.en.mfa):
"The 53rd anniversary of the Erenkoy Resistance (editor's note: Turkey's bombing of Cyprus Tylliria region) was commemorated yesterday (8 August) in the TRNC. We have also observed that an unfortunate statement has been made on this issue by the Greek Foreign Ministry.
The Greek statement contained allegations concerning the support provided by Turkey as a motherland and Guarantor to the courageous and noble struggle of the Turkish Cypriots in 1964 against the common enosis aspirations and ethnic cleansing attempts of the Greek Cypriots and Greeks. We deplore and condemn these completely baseless and false allegations.
For many years, the Greek Cypriots and Greeks resorted to every possible means of propagating fear and instigating violence with the aim of expelling the Turkish Cypriots from the Island of Cyprus through ethnic cleansing. This most recent statement probably reflects a futile attempt to cover up their feeling of guilt regarding their acts."
 Denktas alleges that the Turkish Cypriots should take unilateral steps to remind that they are hereTurkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (10.08.17) reports that Serdar Denktas, leader of the Democratic Party (DP) has said that one of the "surprising proposals" of his party on the Cyprus problem was already being implemented and that this proposal concerns the decision as regards the return of Maronite Cypriots to their occupied villages. Asked what his surprising proposals were, Denktas said that a "decision" on principle had been taken for calling on the Maronites to return to their occupied villages and added that the details of the issue will be determined by a committee established under the chairmanship of Turkish Cypriot leader Akinci's councillor and the participation of the "prime minister's office", the "finance minister" and the "religious affairs' department". Denktas said that this "committee" will "decide" how the Maronites will return, how their properties will be returned and whether they will be "granted" the occupation regime's "citizenship".
Noting that reference is made to return of 4,000 persons including the inhabitants of occupied Kormakitis villages, Denktas estimated that perhaps 2,000 persons will return and explained that they expected very few parsons to actually return and settle in the above-mentioned villages, but they could come during the weekends or holidays such as the Easter, like it happens in the occupied Kormakitis village.
Alleging that "citizenship" should be "granted" to the Maronites who will return so that "they do not feel as minority like in the Greek Cypriot side", Denktas admitted that some problems might occur as regards the properties of the Maronites, because the occupation regime gave away these properties to Turks and for some of them distributed "title deeds". Noting that the solution formula to this problem will be found at the above-mentioned "committee", Denktas alleged:
"Let them come and live there but they will live under Turkish Cypriot administration. If they want citizenship, they will be granted. If they want white card they will be granted, so that they move more easily. My proposal for Varosha is similar. I say let it open under our administration. A call will be made to the old owners. They will come and reconstruct it. Of course, this proposal should be completed. A study should be carried out regarding the investments we will have to make on the infrastructure there.
If necessary, we should take some unilateral steps in the current environment. They should be steps which show that we do not want to interrupt the relations by accepting that finding a solution on the current basis will not be possible. […]"
Asked whether Turkish Cypriot leader Akinci and the Turkish Foreign Ministry agree with him, Denktas argued that in general Akinci agrees with him and that he could not ask Turkey, but since it has not reacted to the first step [for the Maronites], this means that it agrees. Noting that they should act quickly, Denktas alleged:
"We should draw attention on us and remind that we exist. This is what I am doing. Let them not remember us only when negotiations exist. […] Now we are saying 'we exist without negotiations, we are the ones who decide for this area, we want to have contacts with you'. This is the call we are making. On the Varosha issue I tried to see what the Americans will say. They were surprised not knowing what to do due to their enthusiasm. 'We are ready to offer financial support to this' they said. Why? Because actually what we are suggesting is not contrary to the international law. I am not saying that the administration will always remain on us. Let us transfer the administration to you when there is a solution, but if there is no solution, let it [the city] not remain closed, let people not be scattered. Who can say no to this? […]
These proposals had been in front of my father, not all of them only a part of them, during the period of the opening of the gates. I did not deal a lot with them, because I was very concentrated on the gates and I was afraid that all together at the same time would be lost. We took that step, we took it unilaterally. […] If you take a unilateral step, this is accepted, the world sees it with understanding. Who complained to us saying 'why you have unilaterally opened the gates?' No one can say anything. […] These proposals are also in this way. Will the Greek Cypriots respond? If they want let them respond or not respond. Let us take the step and let them come out as the preventing side in front of the world, not we. None of these proposals will cause any loss for us […]"
 YKP: If you abandon the UN parameters because no solution was found, it will mean that you challenge the world like North KoreaTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (10.08.17) reports that Alpay Durduran, member of the New Cyprus Party's (YKP) secretariat, has said that abandoning the UN parameters on the Cyprus problem because no solution was found, would be tantamount to challenging the international community, like in the case of North Korea.
Describing as "not realistic" the view as regards the existence of 'two states" from Cyprus within the EU, Durduran underlined that great difficulties were caused because of the lack of respect to the UN Resolutions [on Cyprus], which had been approved by almost all states, cannot be abandoned and should be respected.
Referring to the issue of security and guarantees, Durduran expressed the view that the duty of ensuring security should, before the guarantors, belong to the administration of the United Cyprus, which should not allow the establishment of illegal underground organizations again and fully implement the constitution.
 Erdogan has reportedly given an instruction for strengthening the occupation regime' economyColumnist Gokhan Altiner in Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi newspaper (10.08.17) reports that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has given an instruction for strengthening and speeding up the economy of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus. "We do not know how correct this information is, but it is understood that we will enter into the period of arranging the inside of our home after the failure of the solution process which has become seriously difficult", he argues.
Altiner recalls statements made by Turkish Cypriot leader Akinci, who has been saying recently that "we should arrange the inside of our house and we should be strengthened economically" and notes that this "is in harmony with Erdogan's instruction". He further reports that the "financial protocol" signed between Turkey and the breakaway regime is not implemented and this is why the money flow from Turkey has almost stopped. According to Altiner, the regime's economy would come to a deadlock without Turkey's support.
Referring to the situation in the occupied area of Cyprus after the failure of the talks in Crans Montana, Altiner argues that a bigger support than ever exists for the "TRNC" and that every one out of two Akinci's statements "is shaped on the existence and the continuation of the existence of the TRNC". He claims that this derives from Akinci's anger towards President Anastasiades and the Greek Cypriots.
 YDP repeated that they are not only the political party of the Turkish citizens in the occupied area of CyprusTurkish Cypriot daily Star Kibris newspaper (10.08.17) reports that Bertan Zaroglu, general secretary of the Revival Party (YDP), said: "I feel honoured to lead the party of the Turkish citizens. We are the party of the Turkish citizens, but not only of the Turkish citizens here".
In a written statement, Zaroglu claimed that the YDP is a political party, which was established by "TRNC citizens", adding that they are the party of the marginalized and the oppressed and not only to those who came in the occupied area of Cyprus after 1974.
Zaroglu also alleged that according to the results of a poll survey, the voting rate for YDP will be more than 10% in the "elections".
Referring to the opening of the fenced off town of Varosha, Zaroglu repeated the allegation that Varosha is a Turkish property. He added that Varosha should be opened under Turkish administration and UN surveillance.
Commenting on the "criteria of obtaining TRNC citizenship", Zaroglu further claimed that "every child born within the TRNC should be a TRNC citizen and take an identity. Those who stay in the TRNC for ten years should become citizens.(…) When we will come to power, we will make arrangements regarding the citizenships".
 Turkish Cypriot newspaper wonders if there is a gang in the occupied area of Cyprus selling forged passportsTurkish Cypriot daily Yeni Bakis newspaper (10.08.17) reports that twelve persons – three families - who have been living in the occupied area of Cyprus for the last three four years, have been detained by the Cyprus police after attempting to travel to Germany through Larnaca airport with fake Turkish passports and fake Turkish visas.
The paper reports that no statement has been issued yet by the breakaway regime in the occupied area of Cyprus regarding this incident, adding that they expect some answers to the following questions:
How did the mentioned families cross from "North Cyprus" to "South Cyprus" although they are Turkish citizens?
From where did they find the fake passports?
How did they take the fake visa?
Is there any gang or gangs in our "country", which provide fake passports or do human trafficking?
Meanwhile, the paper further reports that the Cyprus Legal Service has decided to take into custody only the three men from the twelve persons (three couples and six children).
 A 10% decline to the preference of Turkish students to the "universities" in the occupied area of CyprusUnder the title "The expected did not happen", Turkish Cypriot daily Havadis newspaper (10.08.17), on its front page, reports that after the announcement of the entrance results to the Turkish universities, the number of the students who were admitted to the "TRNC universities" was also announced. According to the paper, there is a 10 % decline compared to last year's results that is one thousands students less. Last year, 11,925 students were admitted to the "TRNC universities" and this year, this number decreased to 10,795 students.
The distribution of the students to the "TRNC universities" is:
"university" The number of placement for students The number of students who admitted
"Near East university" (YDU) 4,587 2,650
"European university of Lefka" (LAU) 3,585 2,131
"East Mediterranean university" (DAU) 3,126 1,622
"International Cyprus University" (UKU) 3,025 1,555
"American university of Keryneia" (GAU) 2,723 1,391
"Keryneia university" (GU) 1,250 541
"Cyprus Social Science university" (KISBU) 480 338
"Cyprus Science university" (KIU) 425 217
"Cyprus health and humanities sciences university" (KSTU) 390 170
"International Final university" (UFU) 520 129
"Cyprus American university" (KAU) 220 51
According to the paper, the decline of the Turkish students who prefer the "TRNC universities" will affect negatively the economy of the breakaway regime. Only 10,795 placements were filled from the 20,331 that were opened. It is expected that there will be a slightly increase with the additional placements. "DAU" is the "university" who has the biggest loss in the number of the students. From the 2,205 students' registrations in 2016 declined to 1,622 in 2017.
 Detention warrants issued for 35 journalists over ByLock use in IstanbulAccording to Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (online, 10.08.17), detention warrants have been issued for a total of 35 journalists over allegedly using the smartphone application ByLock, used almost exclusively by the followers of the U.S.-based Islamic preacher Fethullah Gulen.
Burak Ekici, an editor from daily Birgun, is among those detained as part of an operation carried out by the Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor's Office against the media leg of the Fethullahist Terrorist Organization (FETO) on Aug. 10.
Police are carrying out searches at the addresses of the suspects in Istanbul.
TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION
(DPs / AM)
Copyright (C) 2017 Press and Information Office, All rights reserved.