SECTION 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS
For the purposes of this Part:
1. This Part applies to the Area.
- "resources" means all solid, liquid or gaseous mineral resources in
situ in the Area at or beneath the sea-bed, including polymetallic
- resources, when recovered from the Area, are referred to as
2. Activities in the Area shall be governed by the provisions of this Part.
3. The requirements concerning deposit of, and publicity to be given to,
the charts or lists of geographical co-ordinates showing the limits
referred to in article 1, paragraph 1 (1), are set forth in Part VI.
4. Nothing in this article affects the establishment of the outer limits of
the continental shelf in accordance with Part VI or the validity of
agreements relating to delimitation between States with opposite or
Neither this Part nor any rights granted or exercised pursuant thereto
shall affect the legal status of the waters superjacent to the Area or that
of the air space above those waters.
Legal status of the superjacent waters and air space
Convention on the Law of the Sea: Index