|Wednesday, 19 January 2022|
AFSOUTH Operational Update - 16 Nov 95
From: Franco Veltri <email@example.com>
OPERATION DENY FLIGHT UPDATE
STATISTICS AS OF 16 NOVEMBER 95:
Number of days since Operation DENY FLIGHT started = 956
"No-Fly" Zone fighter sorties flown over Bosnia-Herzegovina= 22,672
Close Air Support and Air Strike sorties over Bosnia-Herzegovina = 22,417
Sorties by SEAD, NAEW, tanker, reconnaissance and support aircraft = 31,379
Number of training missions flown = 19,812
Almost 4,500 personnel from 12 NATO countries -- Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States -- are deployed for this NATO operation. NATO aircraft are available at air bases in France, Germany, Greece, Italy, the United Kingdom and on carriers in the Adriatic.
- 5 x Mirage F-1CR reconnaissance aircraft at Istrana AB, Italy.
- 6 x Mirage 2000C fighter aircraft (NFZ) (plus 3 on recall) at Cervia AB, Italy.
- 4 x Mirage 2000K/D ground attack aircraft (CAS) (plus 3 on recall) at Cervia AB.
- 6 x Super Etendard fighter bombers (CAS) on the aircraft carrier when in the Adriatic
- 3 x F-1CT (CAS) on call at Istrana AB.
- 1 x C-135 air-to-air refuelling aircraft at Istres, France.
- 1 x E-3F AEW at Avord.
- 6 x Jaguar fighter bombers (plus 2 on recall) at Istrana AB,Italy.
-14 x Tornado aircraft (UN Rapid Reaction Force support), Piacenza AB, Italy.
- 8 x PA-200 Tornados (CAS) at Ghedi AB, Italy.
- 6 x AMX (CAS) aircraft at Istrana AB, Italy.
- 1 x C-130 support aircraft at Pisa AB, Italy.
- 4 x G-222 support aircraft at Pisa AB, Italy.
- 1 x B-707 air-to-air refueling aircraft at Pratical Di Mare AB, Italy.
- 4 x F-16A fighter aircraft (NFZ)(plus 2 on recall) at Villafranca AB, Italy.
- 5 x F-16A ground attack aircraft (CAS)(plus 2 on recall) at Villafranca AB.
- 3 x F-16R reconnaissance aircraft (plus 2 on recall) at Villafranca AB.
- 1 x CASA 212 support aircraft at Dal Molin Military Airport, Vicenza, Italy.
- 8 x EF-18 fighter aircraft (CAS/NFZ) at Aviano AB, Italy.
- 2 x KC-130 air-to-air refuelling aircraft at Aviano AB.
- 8 x F-16C fighter aircraft (NFZ)(plus 10 on recall) at Ghedi AB, Italy.
- 6 x FMK-3 Tornado fighter aircraft (NFZ) at Gioia del Colle AB, Italy.
-10 x GR-7 Harrier aircraft (CAS) at Gioia del Colle AB.
- 2 x GR-7 Harrier reconnaissance aircraft at Gioia del Colle AB.
- 6 x Sea Harrier dual-role capable aircraft (CAS/NFZ) on the aircraft carrier when in the Adriatic.
- 2 x L-1011 air-to-air refuelling aircraft at Palermo, Sicily (Italy).
- 2 x E-3D aircraft at Aviano AB, Italy.
- 8 x USAF F-15E (CAS\NFZ) at Aviano AB.
-12 x USMC F-18D dual role aircraft (CAS/NFZ), at Aviano AB.
-12 x USAF F-16C/D dual role capable (CAS/NFZ) at Aviano AB.
- 8 x USAF O/A-10 ground attack aircraft (CAS) at Aviano AB.
- 3 x USAF EC-130 Airborne Battlefield Command and Control Center aircraft at Aviano AB, Italy.
- 2 x USAF EC-130 electronic warfare aircraft at Aviano AB, Italy.
- 2 x USAF AC-130 Gunship aircraft at Brindisi AB, Italy.
-10 x USAF KC-135 air-to-air refuelling aircraft at Pisa, Italy, and Istres, France.
- 6 x USMC EA-6B electronic warfare aircraft at Aviano AB.
-12 x USN FA-18C fighter aircraft (NFZ) on the aircraft carrier when in the Adriatic.
- 6 x USN FA-18C dual role aircraft on the aircraft carrier when in the Adriatic.
- 6 x EA6B electronic warfare aircraft on the aircraft carrier when in the Adriatic.
NATO Airborne Early Warning Force aircraft:
- 8 x E-3A aircraft at Geilenkirchen, Germany; Trapani, Italy and Action, Greece.
The French E-3F aircraft and those from the E-3A and E-3D Components of NATO's Airborne Early Warning Force (NAEWF) are supporting Operation DENY FLIGHT as well as the combined NATO/WEU Adriatic embargo enforcement Operation SHARP GUARD. The E-3A aircraft are flown by multi-national crews provided by 11 NATO nations.
OPERATION SHARP GUARD UPDATE
During the period 22 November 1992 to 16 November 1995 NATO and WEU forces have challenged, boarded or diverted to a port for inspection the following numbers of merchant vessels:
Challenged = 63,560
Boarded and inspected at sea = 4,859
Diverted and inspected in port = 1,348
These results have been achieved by:
Ship days spent at sea = 11,300
Maritime Patrol Aircraft sorties = 7,971
NATO and French Airborne Early Warning Aircraft sorties = 5,684
HMCS Ville deQuebec (FFH 332), frigate (Canada)
HMCS Calgary (FFH 335), frigate (Canada)
FS La Motle Picquet (D 645), destroyer (France)
FS Commandant Ducuing (F 795), frigate (France)
FGS Emden (F 210), frigate (Germany)
FGS Koeln (F 211), frigate (Germany)
HS Elli (FFG 450), frigate (Greece)
ITS Euro (F 575), frigate (Italy)
ITS Perseo (F566), frigate (Italy)
HNLMS Jan Van Brakel (F 825), frigate (The Netherlands)
HNLMS Pieter Florisz (F826), Frigate (The Netherlands)
NRP Alvares Cabral (F 331), frigate (Portugal)
SPS Numancia (FFG 83) , frigate (Spain)
SPS Andalucia (F 72), frigate (Spain)
TCG Fatih (FFG 242), frigate (Turkey)
HMS Beaver (F 93), frigate (United Kingdom)
HMS Brazen (F 91), frigate (United Kingdom)
USS Boone (FFG 28), frigate (United States)
USS Nicholas (FFG 47), frigate (United States)
USS South Carolina (CGN 37), cruiser (United States)
(16 November 1995)