Read the Convention Relating to the Regime of the Straits (24 July 1923) A)? GHT="50">
Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Read The "Macedonian Question" (by Maria Nystazopoulou-Pelekidou)
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Saturday, 17 April 2021
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

The Hellenic Radio (ERA): News in English, 06-01-20

The Hellenic Radio (ERA): News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article

From: The Hellenic Radio (ERA) <www.ert.gr/>

CONTENTS

  • [01] Second Perpetrator
  • [02] Heavy Charges
  • [03] Cold and Snow Ahead
  • [04] Agca Back to Jail
  • [05] Wrangling over Working Hours
  • [06] Reactions over Dismissals
  • [07] Basinas Heading for Mallorca
  • [08] Diet Your Way to Freedom
  • [09] Are You Man Enough to Knit?
  • [10] Price Increase in Transport Tickets
  • [11] Giotopoulos Declined Legal Representation

  • [01] One of Dimitrakis' Friends Interrogated Second Perpetrator

    20 Jan 2006 14:44:00 (Last updated: 20 Jan 2006 19:00:20)

    By Annita Paschalinou

    Sources: NET, ANA

    Police authorities released today the name and picture of the second perpetrator of the bloody robbery at the heart of Athens. The man is Simeon Seisidis, son of Ioannis and Kyriakoula, aged 30, and is wanted by the authorities. The Police have asked anyone with information on his moves to contact the authorities. Earlier this morning, state security men brought in a 28-year-old student, close friend of the injured perpetrator. The student was at his grandmothers house and said he does not know why his name is implicated in the case. Addressing reporters, the students lawyer said his client has not been charged with something and is interrogated as a witness, because of his friendship with Giannis Dimitrakis.

    Charges

    The brief on the robbery case was submitted to First Instance Prosecution chief D. Papangelopoulos and the case was assigned to First Instance Prosecutor Eleni Raiou.

    The Public Prosecutor proceeded with bringing criminal proceedings against arrestee Giannis Dimitrakis and wanted Simeon Seisidis on four charges, including robbery, attempted murder, illegal gun possession and use.

    Dimitrakis Safe-Deposit Box Accessed Late at noon, escorted by a Prosecutor, police officers accessed the safe-deposit box Giannis Dimitrakis held at an Emporiki Bank branch on 56 Akadimias Street. The safe-deposit box contained a large sum of money, which, as per information, stands at 50,000 euros.

    Interrogator at General Hospital

    The second perpetrator of the bloody attack at the heart of Athens, whose name was released today, had been involved in police business in the past.

    Simeon Seisidis had been charged with car arsons in 1994 and 1995, had been arrested in November 1995 for participation in Polytechnic incidents and in 2002 for armed bank robbery in Nea Chalkidona.

    In the meantime, the interrogator will visit Giannis Dimitrakis at the General Hospital to verify his health condition and see if he is fit to testify.

    On Thursday night, Public Prosecutor Ioannis Diotis and Police officials visited the injured perpetrator in hospital in an effort to interrogate him.

    However, according to competent Police officials, Giannis Dimitrakis refused to cooperate.

    Translated by Sofia Soulioti

    Related News:

    Summon over Robbery

    [02] On Former Interrogator K. Bourboulia Heavy Charges

    20 Jan 2006 15:20:00 (Last updated: 20 Jan 2006 18:15:18)

    By Dimitris Alexopoulos

    The new bill of indictment, drawn up by judicial authorities, against former interrogator Konstantina Bourboulia speaks of association to commit offences with other justices and lawyers. New revealing evidence on the extra-judicial network is expected to make the headlines, especially after her bank accounts in Switzerland will have been opened. Regarding her extradition to Greece, more details will be released in the following days, as the French authorities will go over the relevant Greek demand on 25 January.

    Awaiting Bank Accounts to be Opened

    According to the bill of indictment, Mrs Bourboulia is charged with association to commit offences with three other people and was acting in the Justice department for three years aiming at financial gain.

    The members of the association, as they are referred to in the long bill of indictment, are remand-in-custody judge Evangelos Kalousis, remand-in-custody lawyer Sakis Kechagioglou and lawyer Athanasios Varlamis.

    However, Mr Varlamis said in a statement, "I do not understand how a legitimate fee, for which I have issued receipts, has been turned into a bribe and now taken the form of other offences." He also added, "the truth will come out after the bank accounts will have been opened."

    According to judicial sources, Bourboulia's bank accounts in Switzerland will shed more light on the extra-judicial network and on the former examiner's action.

    The Supreme Court Prosecution estimated the process for opening the accounts will have been finalised in the following days.

    Efforts for Quick Extradition

    Regarding the extradition of the former interrogator to Greece, her lawyer has clarified Mrs Bourboulia wishes to be extradited.

    Justice Minister Anastasis Papaligouras had a telephone conversation with his French counterpart, voicing Greece's interest in Konstantina Bourboulia's quick extradition.

    The State Legal Council will appoint a lawyer representing the Greek State in the case of Bourboulia's extradition by the French authorities. The process has been scheduled to take place next Wednesday, 25 January.

    Translated by Sofia Soulioti

    Related News:

    Extradition Procedure Begun

    [03] Worsening of Weather as of Sunday Cold and Snow Ahead

    20 Jan 2006 13:37:00 (Last updated: 20 Jan 2006 14:09:53)

    By Dimitris Alexopoulos

    Sources: ΝΕΤ, ΝΕΤ 105.8, ANA, HNMS

    As of Sunday noon, the weather will gradually worsen, as per an emergency forecast by the Hellenic National Meteorological Service (HNMS). As per the forecast, strong rainfall and thunderstorms throughout the country are predicted as of Sunday. Moreover, strong snowfall in the mountainous regions of central and northern Greece, as well as in Macedonia and Thrace with a low altitude were also forecast. On Monday and Tuesday, the main characteristics of the weather will be low temperatures and gusty northern winds, reaching 10 on the Beaufort scale in the Aegean Sea. The temperature is expected to drop to 2 and 3 degrees Celsius, while snow is expected to fall in Athens as well. Snowfalls are expected to subside as of Tuesday afternoon.

    Central Macedonia has already been affected by the chilling cold.

    The traffic of vehicles in the mountainous provincial networks of Kastoria is being made with snow tires.

    The General Secretariat of the Civil Protection is on full alert and has informed all relevant bodies, in order to immediately intervene if needed.

    Moreover, in its latest announcement, it advised citizens over the wave of bad weather and referred to the necessary self-protection measures.

    Translated by Eirene Nisiriou

    [04] Turkey's High Court Decided Agca Back to Jail

    20 Jan 2006 20:45:00

    By Vivian Papastefanou

    Turkeys High Court annulled today the release of Mehmet Ali Agca, who attempted to assassinate former Pope John Paul II in 1981. The ruling of the High Court was prompted by the Turkish Justice Ministry, which demanded Agcas release be reviewed. Agca, 48, served a total of 25 years in prison. After serving a 19-year sentence in Italy for attempting to assassinate the Pope, he was pardoned and extradited to Turkey in 2000. Upon his arrival in Turkey, he was also imprisoned for murdering Turkish journalist Abdi Ipekci and holding up two banks.

    Translated by Areti Christou

    [05] OTOE Condemns Eurobank's Decision Wrangling over Working Hours

    20 Jan 2006 18:06:00

    By Annita Paschalinou

    Sources: NET-ANA

    Tension and wrangling ran high at the session of OTOEs (Hellenic Federation of Bank Employee) General Council, which assembled to discuss the agreement brokered between Eurobanks governing board and its personnel regarding the extension of the working-hour scheme. As per the agreement, Eurobank branches at "The Mall" in Athens and at the "Mediterranean Cosmos" in Thessaloniki will remain open in the afternoons and Saturdays. Development Minister Dimitris Sioufas assented to the opening of the dialogue on the extension of the working hours in the banking sector, underlining, however, that the extension does not equal to the expansion of the employees working hours.

    D. Sioufas: "Yes to Dialogue"

    The agreement struck between Eurobanks governing board and the employees regarding the change in the working hours in two branches housed in shopping malls has triggered reactions that took the form of an avalanche both at union and political level.

    Development Minister Dimitris Sioufas suggested the dialogue on extending the working hours to serve the needs of the market commence. He made it clear, though, that the extension does not equal to the expansion of the employees working hours.

    At the same time, while addressing the General Councils assembly, OTOE President Dimitris Tsoukalas argued that it is the collective working contracts that determine the working hours, and stressed, "We should not let that be violated."

    Furthermore, he found fault with the stance of Eurobanks trade union and warned, "Any unionist who wants to go his way, he had better go outside OTOE."

    Translated by Areti Christou

    [06] By the Coca-Cola 3E Personnel Reactions over Dismissals

    20 Jan 2006 16:22:00 (Last updated: 20 Jan 2006 18:27:50)

    By Dimitris Alexopoulos

    Sources: NET-ANA

    Coca-Cola personnels reactions escalate on Monday. They have scheduled a 24-hour strike, demanding the governing board of the company recall the decision to shut down the Athens plant and transfer it to Schimatari, instead. They also oppose to the companys decision to shut down three warehouses in Mesollogi, Corfu and Rhodes, for this will make 150 people redundant. Government spokesman Evangelos Antonaros stated on Tuesday that the issue is to top a three-party meeting at the Ministry of Employment, underlining, "The government will see to it that no employee sustains any damages." The matter was also discussed in Parliament, following an interpellation filed by SYN President Alekos Alavanos. "The personnel has not yet filed their request to the Ministry," answered Deputy Employment Minister Gerasimos Giakoumatos.

    On its part, Coca-Cola 3E underscored that a voluntary redundancy plan is to be activated, arguing that this is the only way out and it is the companys obligation to promptly deal with all issues that might halt the companys future in Greece.

    Furthermore, it pointed out that the changes advanced are to adversely affect around 150 people out of the 2,400 employees of the company. It also stated that an 8 million investment to establish a new plant in Herakleion, Crete, is underway.

    The President of GSEE (Greek General Confederation of Labour) Christos Polyzogopoulos put the whole situation down to the companys plan to stop its operation in Greece. He then went on to accuse it of playing a communicative trick, since, as he said, the initial number of the 700 employees to be fired announced in the morning was finally reduced to 150 in the evening.

    Referring on the issue, Development Minister Dimitris Sioufas said that he contacted the companys governing board and assured him they have no intention of transferring the company overseas and that the company is undergoing a reorganisation plan to the benefit of the company and its personnel.

    Vice-President of the Federation of Greek Industries (FGI) Dimitris Daskalopoulos argued that no one has the right to intervene in a companys domestic affairs.

    Translated by Areti Christou

    [07] Basinas Heading for Mallorca

    20 Jan 2006 20:36:00

    By Stathis Petropoulos

    Angelos Basinas is to continue his career to one of the worlds best championship and in one of the worlds most beautiful place, since he joined Mallorcas roster. The Greek midfielder passed the medical exams and signed a contract with his new team, thus making his lifelong dream to play overseas come true. His contract with the Spanish club expires this summer and in case the club avoids relegation, it will automatically turn into a three-year one. As for his earnings, Basinas will earn approximately 500,000 euros by the end of this season and more than 1 million euros annually for the years to come.

    Translated by Areti Christou

    [08] He Escaped Unnoticed Diet Your Way to Freedom

    20 Jan 2006 12:45:00

    By Despina Hristopoulou

    Lose weight to avoid health problems, say doctors, but they could have never imagined that losing weight could give someone their freedom. And we are not just talking about freedom of movement! A 36-year-old convict managed to escape from an Australian prison after losing weight enough to fit through the bars of his cell in the prison hospital. When 36-year-old Robert Cole was thrown in jail two years ago, he weighed 70kg. We can't say for sure whether he couldn't stand prison food or whether this was all part of his sick plan, however the fact is he managed to lose more than 14kg in just a few weeks. He lost enough weight to fit through the gap he had chiseled between his cell wall and the bars. He had even placed pillows under the covers to mislead guards into thinking he was asleep and when they found out he was missing, it was already too late!

    Armed and Dangerous

    This strange case made the headlines in no time and Authorities at Sydney's Long Bay Prison were "obviously very embarrassed" by the escape. In fact, New South Wales Authorities called for an emergency meeting to investigate into the matter, stressing prison security has let them down. As was expected, the Head of Security was suspended from duty. The prison in question has no guards on the hallways, as officials estimated security cameras were more than enough.

    Robert Cole had been arrested for armed robbery and assault two years ago and the Police think he is dangerous and possibly armed. Back then, the court had ruled he was mentally unstable to undergo trial.

    Translated by Sofia Soulioti

    Read the story on other sources:

    BBC: Narrow escape for dieting convict

    Sydney Morning Herald: Long Bay diet - less porridge, more freedom

    Sydney Morning Herald: Strike Force assigned to catch Cole

    [09] Beers, Hot Dogs and Knitting Are You Man Enough to Knit?

    20 Jan 2006 14:08:00

    By Despina Hristopoulou

    An all-new hangout for men in Lower Manhattan is selling like hot cakes. The store in question offers entertainment for extravagant tastes. And don't go making dirty thoughts! We are talking about a wool and craft place called Knit New York, which hosts knitting nights every Friday from 9 until late for men only! The owners came up with this original idea because they simply couldn't stand the idea of men drinking beers and watching football as the only alternative for entertainment. However, since they like beer too much, they decided to keep it and exchanged football for knitting!

    More Effective Than Meditation

    After a long week, said store manager Josh Bennett, men can come and drink a couple of beers, have a hotdog and work on the sleeve of their handmade sweater. They can also exchange views on both football and cross-stitch.

    The store draws dozens of men to its weekly men's night where beginners and experts elaborate on the art of knitting.

    The manager stressed his store is not a cover-up for a gay meeting place, underlining most customers are heterosexual, while flirting is prohibited. He also said many couples join knitting classes on weekdays, while many would rather knit sexy underwear for their girlfriends.

    The ad reads: "Are you strong enough to knit and man enough to purl?"

    Mr Bennett said he was introduced to the art of knitting from his grandmother, but was not allowed to knit for many years, because "boys don't knit."

    Male customers at Knit New York are very pleased and in fact stressed knitting helps relieve the stress of everyday life and has proved to be more effective than meditation.

    Translated by Sofia Soulioti

    Read the story on other sources:

    Reuters: A manly yarn...

    [10] The First After 2000 Price Increase in Transport Tickets

    20 Jan 2006 14:08:00

    Sources: NET 105.8, ANA

    The relevant Ministries of Economy and Transport announced a price increase of 9% in tickets of Athens city transport. In particular, the price of the single ticket for buses and trolley buses is increased from 0.45 to 0.50 eurocents. Moreover, the price ticket of electric railway tickets from 0.60 will be 0.70 eurocents and the metro from 0.70 to 0.80 eurocents. The price of travel cards, a single tram ticket and Suburban railway remain as is. The starting rate for taxis is configured to 1 euro from 0.85 eurocents and the compensation per/kilometre to 0.32 from 0.30 eurocents. The price of the shortest possible taxi route is at 2.50 euros from 1.75, in Athens.

    The increase in the other Public Means of Transport will range at 7%. However, the price of train routes in suburban networks will not increase, but only in the routes Athens-Thessaloniki and Piraeus-Chalkida.

    As the Ministry of Transport and Communications stated, the increase is the lowest possible.

    It is noted, that the price increases in tickets in city transport were made previously in 2000.

    Translated by Eirene Nisiriou

    [11] Giotopoulos Declined Legal Representation

    20 Jan 2006 13:30:00

    By Vicky Keleri

    Sources: NET, ANA

    In a written statement, Alexandros Giotopoulos declined legal representation in the 17 November trial by lawyers appointed to him by the court. Giotopoulos justified his decision noting that nobody participating in this process has the right to speak on his account. Giotopoulos' statement was not read in court, since Public Prosecutor Efterpi Goutzamani said it could be permissible only if Giotopoulos had first addressed his three lawyers. Earlier, Iraklis Kostaris said his rights were violated during the preliminary hearing process. He also stressed their heavy indictments were the result of the terror hysteria climate prevalent in our time.

    Translated by Sofia Soulioti


    The Hellenic Radio (ERA): News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
    Back to Top
    Copyright © 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    eraen2html v1.01 run on Friday, 20 January 2006 - 21:44:50 UTC