|Thursday, 21 September 2017|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 17-07-11
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 131/17 11.07.17
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Erdogan: "Big opportunity missed in Cyprus due to Greek Cypriot' negative attitude"Turkish Hurriyet Daily News (11.07.17) reports that the Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan claimed that the Greek Cypriot side's "negative attitude" in resolution efforts on the island was to blame for the recent failure of Cyprus peace talks".
"Unfortunately, a big opportunity was missed in the Eastern Mediterranean last week. Despite our constructive approach and that of the Northern Cypriot side, we are saddened over the fact that disagreements on the island were once again left unresolved due to the negative attitude of the Greek Cypriot side," Erdogan claimed in a speech at the opening ceremony of the 22nd World Petroleum Congress in Istanbul.
He added that it was "unacceptable" that energy companies were part of what he called "irresponsible measures" by the Greek Cypriots.
"It is impossible to appreciate that some energy companies are acting with and becoming part of some irresponsible measures taken by the Greek Cypriots. I want to remind them that they could lose a friend like Turkey," Erdogan said, without specifically naming any companies.
He also stressed that hydrocarbon sources in waters around Cyprus should belong to all sides on the island based on international law.
"What we expect from anyone who takes sides in the developments in Cyprus is that they should refrain from steps that might pave the way for new tensions in the region," Erdogan said.
 Yildirim called the Greek Cypriot side to refrain from "unilateral activities" in the EMTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (10.07.17) reported that Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim, speaking at a ceremony in Istanbul in the framework of the 22nd World Petroleum Congress, called on the Greek Cypriots to refrain from taking "one-sided measures" following the failure of the re-unification talks in Crans Montana, Switzerland.
"The Greek Cypriot leadership must seek a constructive approach rather than setting up obstacles for peace. We advise them to refrain from unilateral measures in the East Mediterranean," Y?ld?r?m alleged, adding that "Turkey will protect its rights and the rights of the Turkish Cypriots in the Eastern Mediterranean to the end".
Yildirim also reiterated Ankara's allegation that the hydrocarbon resources around Cyprus belong to both sides of the island. "We want to recall once again that the hydrocarbon resources around Cyprus belong to both sides. Turkey will protect its ipso facto rights and the rights of the Turkish Cypriots," Y?ld?r?m said.
 Turkish Energy Minister reportedly refers to Turkey's "reciprocity policy" regarding Cyprus' hydrocarbon explorationsTurkish Cypriot daily Havadis newspaper (11.07.17) reports that Turkish Energy Minister, Berat Albayrak yesterday referred to Turkey's "reciprocity policy" in every stage of the Republic of Cyprus' explorations for hydrocarbon recourses in its exclusive economic zone (EEZ). Speaking at the 22nd World Petroleum Congress in Istanbul, Albayrak said that Turkey was focused on exploration for oil and natural gas in the Eastern Mediterranean and the Black Sea and that currently it was carrying out intensive seismic explorations in the Mediterranean.
Meanwhile, Ankara Anatolia news agency (11.07.17) reports that Albayrak also stated that Turkey would increase its annual natural gas storage capacity to 11 billion cubic meters (bcm) by 2023. He said that the country's current daily natural gas transmission system had the capacity of 190 million cubic meters. "This daily capacity will first increase to 300 million cubic meters and then we will take it up to 400 million cubic meters within two years", he added.
He alleged that Turkey was focusing on strengthening its energy security and domestic energy resources and added: "Thus, we focus on our seismic explorations both in the Mediterranean and the Black Sea region. We aim to reveal the gas and oil potential of these seas and want this potential to contribute to the region".
According to Ankara Anatolia news agency, Turkey's first seismic vessel, the Barbaros Hayrettin Pasa, has been conducting operations in the Mediterranean since April 2017, while a second vessel, the MTA Oruc Reis, will soon be ready for explorations.
 The political party of Turkish settlers in the occupied area of Cyprus ask for a plan BTurkish Cypriot daily Halkin Sesi newspaper (11.07.17) reports that the leader of the Revival Party (YDP) Erhan Arikli asked from Turkey and the "TRNC officials" to implement plan B after the failure of the Conference on Cyprus in Crans-Montana.
In a written statement, Arikli argued that at the first stage Turkey should specify the new criteria as Turkey's President Erdogan has indicated and added: "At this point, great weight falls on our president (translator's note: he refers to the Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci). The president, the government should come together immediately with officials from the motherland (Turkey) and they should contribute to the emergence of Ankara-Lefkosia criteria regarding the Cyprus issue".
Arikli further argued that if Akinci cannot undertake this initiative, then the "government" of the breakaway regime should start working on this. He claimed that according to the "Ankara-Lefkosia criteria", it should be announced to the world with a declaration that the negotiations will be held for a "two-state solution" and that the fenced off town of Varosha will be opened to its "old (legal) owners" under Turkish administration.
Arikli also argued that they gave proposals such as to start work for "constitutional amendments", to change the name of the "state" to "Cyprus Turkish state" ("KTD") and to move into a "presidential system".
On the same issue, the "association of retired non-commissioned officers of the security forces command" claimed that the Greek Cypriot side with its stance proved that they don't want a federal solution and at this stage the UN parameters aiming for a federal solution have lost their validity.
In a written statement, the chairman of the association Esen Omurlu alleged that from now on, the solution in Cyprus is that the "TRNC state" and the "Greek Cypriot state" should live next to each other in good neighbourly relations.
 KTOEOS: The desire for a United Federal Cyprus did not cease to existTurkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (11.07.17) reports that Selma Eylem, chairperson of the Turkish Cypriot secondary school teachers' trade union (KTOEOS), has said that the interruption of the negotiations in Crans Montana did not abolish the desire for a united federal Cyprus. In a written statement issued yesterday, she argued that the reason of the interruption of the talks was "the incompetence of the leaders and the conflict and incompatibility of the imperialistic interests". Eylem noted that the failure of the conference did not change the commitment to federation, which was "the only parameter of the solution in Cyprus".
 CTP "deputy" argued that in order for the UN parameters to change, there should be mutual acceptanceUnder the title "The danger is at the door", Turkish Cypriot daily Yeni Bakis newspaper (11.07.17) on its front page, publishes an interview with the "deputy" of the Republican Turkish Party (CTP) Erkut Sahali on the failure of the Cyprus talks in Crans-Montana.
Sahali argued that the UN parameters after the failure of the Cyprus talks in Crans-Montana have lost their validity and that there is a need for new parameters. He explained that those parameters were the ones from the 1977-79 High Level agreements until today, adding that in order to change these parameters, there should be mutual acceptance by both sides.
 Atalay was releasedTurkish Cypriot daily Afrika newspaper (11.07.17) reports that according to a statement issued by Fahrettin Ogdu, the deputy chairman of the Religious Affairs Department, Talip Atalay, the chairman of the Department who was arrested two days ago, has been released.
Atalay was arrested in Mersin, Turêey, in the framework of the operation against persons involved in FETO organization of Fetullah Gulen, which is connected with the failed July 15 coup in Turkey.
Atalay was accused because of a reference letter he gave to a person that was arrested in the breakaway regime a few days ago on the grounds that he was involved in FETO. Atalay stated that he gave the letter before FETO was transformed into "a terrorist organization".
Commenting on the issue, Afrika notes that Atalay's arrest who served as the head of the Religious Affairs Department caused a stir in the breakaway regime; however, the "government" did not comment on the issue. According to Afrika, Atalay was granted the "TRNC citizenship" when he was 12 years old.
 More about the function of the "immovable property commission"Turkish Cypriot daily Diyalog newspaper (11.07.17) under the front-page title: ""The immovable property commission is looking for 2 billion sterling", reports that the "chairman" of the "commission", Ayfer Erkmen, in exclusive statements to the paper, claimed that for the last four years the "commission" had not been able to make any "decision" because it lacked the money.
Erkmen explained that the number of Greek Cypriot applications to the "commission" until today were 6,327 and added that only 837 out of those had been resolved with compensation (179 million 360 thousand 871 sterling). Erkmen further added that they needed £2 billion in order to conclude the remaining cases. Explaining that Turkey has demanded from the "TRNC government" to "implement" the "local improvement tax" in order to allocate funds, Erkem added that due to the fact that the "TRNC" failed to meet this condition, the "cash flow" from Turkey had been suspended.
 A Turkish Cypriot "association" attended the "Turkic world congress" in KazakhstanTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (11.07.17) reports that the "Turkish association of solidarity union" ("TURK-Bir), in the framework of its efforts to promote the "TRNC", attended the "Turkic World Congress" which took place in Kazakhstan.
According to a written statement issued by the "association", the "founding member of the youth platform of the association" Suleyman Aksu, who "represented" the "association", referred, inter alia, to the so-called "embargoes", expressing the view that with Turkey's help the Turkish Cypriots would achieve the "place they deserve" in the Turkic world.
 CHP leader is playing a 'dangerous game,' says AKP spokesmanTurkish Hurriyet Daily News (11.07.17) reports that ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) spokesman Mahir Unal stated that main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) leader Kemal K?l?cdaroglu was playing a "dangerous game" by calling on the masses to hit the streets in protest against the government, claiming K?l?cdaroglu wanted to spark "anarchy in society."
"I call on Mr. K?l?cdaroglu to be respectful of the parliament and of politics. He is playing a dangerous game," Unal told reporters at a press conference in Ankara on July 10.
He slammed the CHP head a day after the opposition had held a massive rally in Istanbul at the end of K?l?cdaroglu's 25-day justice march from Ankara to Istanbul.
At the rally in Istanbul's Maltepe district, K?l?cdaroglu vowed that the march would be just the beginning of mass protests against the government's anti-democratic actions, including possible street protests.
"If you are calling on people to hit the streets, this is fascism," Unal claimed.
"Mr. K?l?cdaroglu, who accuses us of dictatorship, compares today's Turkey with examples from the 1940s. Could he realize such a march in 1940s Germany?" he said, calling on the CHP leader to "respect the Turkish Parliament and stop searching for justice in the streets."
 Forty-seven academics and civil servants detained over suspected Gulen linksAnkara Anatolia news agency (11.07.17) reports that at least 115 detention warrants were issued on July 10 for academics and bureaucrats in two Istanbul universities, the Prime Ministry and related institutions, with 47 people detained over suspected links to the U.S.-based Islamic preacher Fethullah Gulen.
Some 72 detention warrants were issued for academics at Bogazici University and Medeniyet University and 43 warrants were issued for officials at the Prime Ministry.
Most of those on the list were users of ByLock, an encrypted messaging application used almost exclusively by Gulen supporters, according to a statement by the Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor's Office.
Police detained 47 people at the two universities early on July 10 over alleged links to what the government calls the Fethullahist Terrorist Organization (FETO), as part of an investigation which was conducted by Istanbul Chief Prosecution Office.
FETO is accused of orchestrating Turkey's July 15, 2016 military coup attempt.
Some 64 of those for whom detention warrants were issued were from Medeniyet University while eight were from the prestigious Bogazici Unviersity.
Koray Cal?skan, a well-known academic working at Bogazici University, was among those detained, as well as Hamit Okur, a former rector of Medeniyet University.
Main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) deputy Oguz Kaan Sal?c? announced the detention of Cal?skan via his official Twitter account. "Koray Cal?skan was just detained at his home. The reason is not clear yet," Sal?c? tweeted.
TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION
(CS / AA)
Copyright (C) 2017 Press and Information Office, All rights reserved.