|Monday, 12 April 2021|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 16-08-26
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 162/16 26.08.2016
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Akinci spoke with Biden over the phoneTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi newspaper (26.08.16) reports that Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci held a phone conversation with the Vice President of the United States, Joe Biden.
No details are given by the paper about the phone conversation.
 Mehmet Akpinar and Sali Musa Ahmet confessed they had murdered George Law in Agia NapaTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (26.08.16) reports that Mehmet Akpinar and Sali Musa Ahmet, who are wanted by the Police of the Republic of Cyprus for committing the murder of 22year-old George Law in Agia Napa, were taken yesterday to the "military court" in the occupied part of Nicosia, which ordered that they should remain detained for three months. The two were sent to the "central prisons".
The "police" of the breakaway regime announced that Mehmet Akpinar and Sali Musa Ahmet have given a voluntary statement and confessed that they passed to the occupied area of Cyprus by "violating a forbidden military zone" after they had committed the murder in Agia Napa.
Aytan Ozoglu, who is in charge of the investigation, told the "court" that the two suspects were moving between the occupied area and the government-controlled area of the island through a park called Yigitler Burcu Park, near the Ledra Palace Barricade, in Nicosia. Ozoglu said that both gave a voluntary statement and confessed that they passed to the occupied area of the island because they had committed a murder on 14 August in Agia Napa.
"Prosecutor" Doga Tokay underlined the seriousness of the crime and said that crossing to the government-controlled area of Cyprus without permission could be punished with imprisonment up to ten years and the violation of "forbidden military zone" with three years.
Referring to the same issue, Turkish Cypriot daily Afrika newspaper (26.08.16) reports that those who had been tried for violating a "forbidden military zone" until now were set free on bail, but a different decision was taken yesterday for the fugitives of Agia Napa murder. "It is regarded that the military court took this decision for not returning the suspects" to the authorities of the Republic of Cyprus, notes Afrika.
 Erhurman criticizes UBP and DP's stance against Akinci on the Cyprus problemTurkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (26.08.16) reports that Tufan Erhurman, general secretary of the Republican Turkish Party (CTP), has said that both Huseyin Ozgurgun and Serdar Denktas, "prime minister" and chairman of the National Unity Party (UBP) and "deputy prime minister" and chairman of the Democratic Party (DP) respectively, had not expressed the slightest criticism against Turkish Cypriot leader Akinci during the recent meeting of the "parliamentary" party leaders and representatives held at Akinci's office to evaluate the development on the Cyprus problem.
In statements to Diyalog TV, Erhurman recalled that he had also been present at the meeting and added that if the "government" does not trust Akinci, it should state this and give concrete reasons.
Referring to the criticism expressed by self-styled foreign minister Tahsin Ertugruloglu against Akinci, Erhurman condemned the language used by Ertugruloglu adding that "when the level fells below a certain point we must remain silent".
Asked to comment on the statement [made by Ozgrugun] that "Morfou is our red line and it cannot be returned", Erhurman said that he also reads the minutes of the Cyprus negotiations and that during the meeting they asked Akinci on the issue and found out that no names of places, map and percentages have been discussed until now in the territory chapter within the framework of the Cyprus talks and added that these issues will not be discussed during the seven meetings to be held until 14 September.
 Siber: "No guarantee except that provided by Turkey will be accepted"According to illegal Bayrak television (25.08.16) the "speaker" of the so-called assembly Sibel Siber evaluated the recent developments on the Cyprus problem in a program broadcast by BRT.
Commenting on the discussions being held on the Cyprus issue at the highest levels of the "state", Siber said that everyone should behave according to "diplomatic rules".
Stating that tensions and polarizations did not suit the Turkish Cypriot "people", Siber pointed out that the Cyprus problem is a social issue and underlined the importance of cordial relations between "state officials" for the solution of the Cyprus problem.
"The top brass of the state should be in unity and harmony. If we become polarized and our communication becomes unhealthy, then we will all lose. Utmost attention should be paid to wording and form of addressing each other. There are different views, concerns and criticisms. Constructive criticisms should not be met with anger. If the elected people are on the top then we need to act more responsibly. If we act according to the rules of diplomacy then our people would trust us more", Siber said.
Pointing out that the negotiations process had not yet been finalized, Sibel said: "The Turkish Cypriot people who have been struggling for half a century want to become part of the international community with its own identity. We want to feel secure as a result of the solution to be found. The guarantee issue is an issue which all political parties converge on. Society's perception of the EU is not good and Turkish Cypriots do not trust the EU to guarantee their security. Parliament's joint view is that no guarantee except that provided by Turkey will be accepted", Siber said.
Pointing out that property and territory are the most important issues, she said that a bi-zonal and bi-communal solution which will ensure the majority of Turkish Cypriot property and population in the "north" should be found.
She added that the bi-zonal nature of a solution should not be diluted.
Asked whether a solution could be found or not until the end of 2016, Sibel stated that she is cautiously optimistic and hopeful on the issue.
 Turkish Cypriot columnist: Stop asking for Turkey's guaranteesWriting in Turkish Cypriot daily Afrika newspaper (26.08.16), columnist Mehmet Levent reports that the Turkish Cypriots should stop asking for Turkey's guarantees in case of a solution in Cyprus. Under the title "Was Turkey guarantor of Syria as well?" Levent comments on the deployment of Turkish troops in Syria and notes, inter alia, the following:
"[?] Why has the Turkish army entered into Syria? Why did it attempt to do this job without taking at all into account Russia's warning that 'if it enter it will find us in front of him'? This attempt has a justification which will not seem strange at all to you. They said that they entered to protect Syria's territorial integrity! 42 years ago they had come up to Cyprus with the excuse of reestablishing the spoiled constitutional order of the State of the Republic of Cyprus, of which they were guarantors! What they did is evident. They divided the island in two with a bloody border they drew from end to end. And they continue this military and civilian occupation for 42 years!
Now let everyone put their hand on their consciousness and speak. (I am writing this for those who have a consciousness. Those who do not have should not take this upon themselves!) Turkey had a right and authority given by its capacity as guarantor in Cyprus. It occupied the lands of the state of the Republic of Cyprus, which it guaranteed, by abusing this right and authority, [due to] the opportunity given to it by the Greek junta!
However, there is no such situation in Syria! Turkey is neither the guarantor of the state of Syria nor of the constitution of this state! That is, it does not have the capacity of the guarantor which it had endlessly abused. No one called it saying come and save us! In spite of this, the Turkish army entered into Syria. [?]
Does anyone object? No! Does anyone applaud? Many! It is as if everyone believed the lie of protecting [Syria's] territorial integrity! Just like, 42 years ago, they believed the lie of 'reestablishing the spoiled constitutional order of the Republic of Cyprus'!
Tell me now. While Turkey entered into Syria without having absolutely no right and authority, is any meaning at all left for the guarantees, which is one of the most complicated, most thorny issues of the Cyprus problem? Does Turkey need guarantees to occupy the lands of another state when it wants to do so? [?] It can do this very easily without being a guarantor! Therefore, abandon now the nonsense of Turkey's active and effective guarantees. Remember what a Turkish Minister had once said. 'You go up to Saint Hilarion and call us, we will hear it and come' (!) Do you want a better guarantee than this?!"
 Akdag stated that Turkey will provide any kind of support for the new "hospital" to be built in the occupied part of LefkosiaUnder the front-page title: "Support by Turkey for the new hospital", Turkish Cypriot daily Haberal Kibrisli newspaper (26.08.16) reports that Turkey's Minister of Health, Recep Akdag, stated during the meeting he held in Ankara with the so- called minister of health Faiz Sucuoglu, that Turkey will provide any kind of support to the "TRNC" for the new "hospital" planned to be built in the occupied part of Lefkosia.
Pointing out that the "Dr. Burhan Nalbantoglu state hospital" in the occupied part of Lefkosia was built 70 years ago and that it cannot provide services covering the needs of today's conditions, Akdag said that it is necessary for the "TRNC" to have a functional "hospital" that will provide high quality health services to the Turkish Cypriot "people". "Our ministry is ready to provide all kind of support on this issue", Akdag said.
Akdag further said that a technical committee will be sent to the "TRNC" right after the Bayral feast in order to discuss with the so-called ministry's officials ways how the "TRNC's health system" could be improved.
 CHP's Kilicdaroglu escaped assassination attemptAnkara Anatolia news agency (25.08.16) reported that the leader of Turkey's main opposition party Republican People's Party (CHP) Kemal Kilicdaroglu has escaped injury after a security team travelling ahead of his motorcade was fired upon in the country's northeast.
Interior Minister Efkan Ala confirmed that a security vehicle escorting Kilicdaroglu was shot at in Artvin on Thursday afternoon.
Three gendarmes were hurt as the convoy travelling from the Savsat district of the Black Sea province to Ardanuc came under fire.
Speaking on television after the incident, Kilicdaroglu said: "No-one needs to be worried about me. I am in good condition. We got out together with my friends from the area of conflict."
Kilicdaroglu and his delegation were transferred to a secure area by police under strict security measures.
Artvin Governorate issued a statement saying that of the three injured gendarmes, two are in critical condition at Artvin State Hospital.
Speaking to reporters in Ankara, Minister Ala said that the Turkish Security Forces had launched an operation against the PKK.
"My friends told me certainly that [it is] the PKK, and the operation against them has started," Ala said.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim, Turkish Parliament Speaker Ismail Kahraman and Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag called Kilicdaroglu separately.
Also speaking at an event in the Turkish capital, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said that he "strongly" condemned and "cursed" the attack, adding: "The aim of both coup plotters and terrorists that target Turkey is to damage its unity and solidarity." "Whatever the reason, we strongly condemn and curse this attack directed at Kilicdaroglu's convoy," he added.
Cavusoglu said that political parties would not change their positions against terrorism.
Turkey's EU minister, Omer Celik, condemned the attack via his official Twitter account: "We condemn the attack directed at Kilicdaroglu's convoy. There is no doubt that this attack was carried out on each of us. Get well soon."
 Russia's Chief of General Staff to visit Turkey to discuss Syria operationTurkish daily Sabah (26.08.16-online in English) reported that Russia's Military Chief of Staff Valery Gerasimov will pay a visit to Turkey to meet his Turkish counterpart Hulusi Akar for the first time since a crisis in relations erupted following the shooting down of a Russian warplane over the Syrian border last year.
The two Generals are expected to discuss the normalization of relations between the two countries and the recent developments in the area around the Euphrates River in Syria, as well as a possible military cooperation in the fight against Daesh.
 Cavusoglu: "EU membership still a strategic aim for Turkey"Ankara Anatolia news agency (26.08.16) reports that Turkey's Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Thursday that the EU membership remains a strategic aim for Turkey.
"The EU is still a strategic aim for us. There is no change," Cavusoglu told reporters after meeting with his Polish counterpart Witold Waszczykowski and Romanian counterpart Lazar Comanescu.
In the wake of the July 15 defeated coup, Cavusoglu claimed that some EU countries failed to pass the test when it comes to defending democracy.
"We, on the other hand, are thankful to brother countries who expressed their support [to the elected government] from the first day [after the coup bid] and then visited us," Cavusoglu said.
Cavusoglu also stressed the connection among three agreements between Turkey and the EU: the visa-free travel deal, readmission deal, and refugee deal.
"These agreements are connected to each other. We all should implement all three of these agreements," Cavusoglu said. "It is not right to say, 'Let's implement the deal that favors the EU, but not the one favorable to Turkey,' it is not fair."
Also, speaking to reporters, Waszczykowski said that the relations between Turkey and the EU should continue, and added, "We are aware these relations need to be tighter and closer."
In his part, Comanescu said that his country will continue to support Turkey's EU membership bid and argued that Turkey's EU membership would benefit not only Turkey but also the EU. "Turkey is a key part of Europe", he said.
(?) Commenting on Turkey's Operation Euphrates Shield in Syria, Cavusoglu slammed Turkey's opposition Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP), saying the party is "disturbed" by the Turkish army's operation launched on Wednesday in Jarablus, northern Syria against ISIL.
"They [HDP] proved once again that they are under the guidance of terror organizations," Cavusoglu said. "We once again saw that they are not interested in Kurdish people's rights either here or there [Syria], Cavusoglu also added.
 Celik met with Roth: "No date for visa liberalization, no EU-Turkey deal"Turkish daily Sabah (25.08.16-online in English) reported that the European Union Minister and Chief Negotiator Omer Celik stated on Thursday that the readmission deal will not be put into practice if the EU does not give Turkey an exact date for visa liberalization.
Speaking at a joint press conference held together with the Minister of State for Europe at the German Federal Foreign Office Michael Roth, Celik stated that the EU did not keep its promise of visa liberalization to Turkey.
Celik recalled that Turkey is currently waiting for an exact date for visa liberalization due to promises not kept by the EU so far, adding that: "If the EU does not give an exact date, we will definitely not put further mechanisms into practice, such as the readmission agreement."
Celik stressed that it is necessary to create a balance between Turkey and the EU, as cooperating is now more important than ever for both sides, considering the threats and problems caused by the ongoing refugee crisis.
Also, commenting on the Euphrates Shield operation launched by Turkey on Wednesday to clear Syria's northern border-city of Jarablus of terrorist organization DAESH, Celik remarked that the organization is not a threat to Turkey only, but to the whole of Europe. "This is Turkey's right of self- defense. Defeating this organization is among our priorities," Celik said.
Meanwhile, Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (26.08.16) reports that in an exclusive interview to the paper, Roth stated that the negotiations between Turkey and the European Union will continue and difficulties over the visa waiver for Turkish nationals will be resolved.
"Conditions to be fulfilled for the visa exemption have been definite for a long time. The last remaining issues must be resolved. I am of the opinion that both parties will continue to work for granting a visa exemption to Turkish nationals," Roth stated.
Citing Turkey's importance as a key ally in NATO and partner for the EU, Roth also addressed Ankara's complaints over growing criticism from European capitals on measures taken by the Turkish government against suspected Gulenists in the aftermath of the failed July 15 coup attempt.
"Critical questions are posed in Europe. That should be understood. I feel responsible to those who defend European values in Turkey. I don't want to close my door on them. That is why we don't accept any halt in EU negotiations," he said.
"Judicial independence, freedom of the media and protection of fundamental rights are issues that Brussels continues to raise in talks with Ankara", Roth added.
"The EU is a community of values and there will be no political concessions on these. We need dialogue in the face of critical questions in order to support Turkey on its path. EU negotiations constitute a good opportunity to this end," Roth also said.
Roth condemned further the military coup attempt in Turkey.
 One more terrorist attack by PKK in Turkey's district of CizreTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (26.08.16) reports that eight police officers were killed and more than 70 people were wounded in a bomb-laden truck attack carried out by the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in the Cizre district of the southeastern province of S?rnak early on August 26.
The attack targeted a police checkpoint some 50 meters away from a police station in the Konak neighborhood located on the Cizre-S?rnak highway.
The explosion caused huge damage in the police station building. Police blocked access to the district following the attack, while security forces conducted an operation to apprehend the fleeing militants.
Health minister Recep Akdag said more than 70 people were wounded in the attack with four of them in a critical condition.
Meanwhile, main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) leader Kemal K?l?cdaroglu described the bombing as a very worrying terror attack. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION