|Wednesday, 21 April 2021|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 15-11-20
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 221/15 20.11.2015
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Akinci welcomed Tsipras' statements on the Cyprus problemAccording to illegal Bayrak television (19.11.15), Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci has said that their main aim is to prepare a peace plan which will resolve the Cyprus issue, during a meeting with a delegation from the Mersin Economy Platform on Thursday. He added that their aim is to reach a federal solution in Cyprus.
Akinci also welcomed the Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras' statements on Cyprus which he delivered during a joint press conference with Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu in Ankara on Wednesday.
"The Greek Prime Minister was in Ankara and together with the Turkish Prime Minister they voiced that the time had come for a solution in Cyprus. They expressed their determination for a solution in Cyprus which made me feel so happy", Akinci said.
Arguing that the Turkish Cypriot "people" with their will for a solution had said yes to the Annan Plan 11 years ago and now they have elected a "president" who is in favour of a solution with more than 60% of votes, Akinci reminded that the intensified negotiations process is continuing and that the leaders will hold six meetings in November. "The target is to solve the Cyprus problem within the shortest time possible through a solution which will please both sides. We will try to achieve this goal through determination and we hope to reach a conclusion. If our collocutors continue to have the same determination it will then be possible to reach a conclusion", Akinci added.
Noting that he cannot say that everything has been agreed so far, Akinci said that some positive developments have occurred and added that he is conducting the negotiations with cautious optimism. "If an agreement could be reached in Cyprus, if Turkey-Greek relations could develop further and if stability comes to the Eastern Mediterranean then the economic perspective will be widened", he noted.
Asked how the Greek Cypriot leader reacted to his decision not to attend the reception given in honour of the German Foreign Minister, he said that this issue did not come to the negotiations table and added that the racist attacks on Turkish Cypriots in the government controlled are of the Republic of Cyprus was mainly discussed during the leaders meeting yesterday.
Akinci also said that the Greek Cypriot leader confirmed that the damages will be compensated. Reminding that both leaders condemned the attacks with a joint statement yesterday, he said such incidents should not harm the negotiations process and added that they will not allow this to happen.
 Kalyoncu says that the talks for the "Financial Protocol" with Ankara are delayed because the new Turkish government has not been established yetTurkish Cypriot daily Gunes newspaper (20.11.15) reports that Omer Kalyoncu, the "prime minister" of the breakaway regime stated that the "2016-2018 financial protocol" has not be discussed officially yet with Ankara because the efforts for establishing the new Turkish government are still in process. According to Kalyoncu this is the reason why the talks on the "financial protocol" are delayed.
Kalyoncu stated that during the last days a delegation went to Ankara in order to hold unofficial talks on the issue.
 Talat will visit Ankara as soon as the Turkish government is formedAccording to illegal Bayrak television (online, 19.11.15), the performance of the "government" of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus was discussed at a meeting of the "coalition partners" on Wednesday.
The leader of the Republican Turkish Party-United Forces (CTP) Mehmet Ali Talat and the leader of the National Unity Party (UBP) Huseyin Ozgurgun came together at the CTP-BG headquarters.
The General Secretary of the UBP and the self-styled minister of economy, industry and commerce Sunat Atun, the self-styled minister of public works, environment and culture Kutlu Evren from the UBP and self-styled prime minister Omer Kalyoncu, CTP-BG General Secretary Tufan Erhurman and the Organization Secretary of the party Erdogan Sorak?n from the CTP-BG were also present at the meeting.
Speaking after the meeting, Ozgurgun said that they had resumed their meetings with the CTP-BG following a break due to the UBP party congress. He added that they mainly discussed the water issue and exchanged views on the Cyprus issue during the meeting. He also expressed the belief that there will be no problems regarding the management of the water transferred from Turkey. "We need to discuss the issue with Turkey. There is not a big difference of opinion between us. I think we will overcome the problem after our discussions with Turkey", Ozgurgun said.
For his part, Talat said that they had discussed the scheduled "government program" during the meeting and added that they agreed that they only failed to address one issue which was the "law" on the Eastern Mediterranean University. He also added that they had agreed to accelerate the work of the "government".
Noting that the water issue, among many other things was also discussed during the meeting, Talat said that some difficulties did exist with Turkey on the matter but that this was something which could be overcome through dialogue. Talat also announced that he will be visiting Ankara following the establishment of the new government in Turkey.
 More about the "water crisis" in the occupied area of Cyprus; Cinar: "The flowing of the water has stopped due to testing works"Under the front-page title: "It is out of question the closing of the penstock", Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (20.11.15) reports that the director of Turkey's Water Affairs Department, responsible for the water project in the occupied area of Cyprus, Birol Cinar, issued yesterday a written statement concerning the allegations that a crisis occurred between Turkey and the occupation regime towards the water management.
Cinar said in the statement that it is out of question for Turkey to close the penstock in Anamour Dam which permits the flowing of the water to the dam in the occupied Panagra village and added that the water has stopped flowing temporarily due to routine testing works.
Pointing out that the water from Turkey has started flowing in the "TRNC" as of October 1st, Cinar denied allegations published in the press that there is a crisis between Turkey and the "TRNC" for the water management and that as a result of this, Turkey has suspended the flowing of the water. Cinar described these allegations as untrue.
Cinar added that there is no technical problem in the pipelines and the water pumps and alleged that the fact that there is no flowing of water is under their control. He also added that the fact that the flowing of water goes to the sea instead of the dams is also an issue which is under their control. He clarified that the testing works will be concluded in 15 days.
Meanwhile, Kibris newspaper writes that the "Water transfer project in the TRNC" will be discussed tomorrow in Ankara during a workshop that will be organized there.
So-called minister of agriculture, natural resources and food, Erkut Sahali, the undersecretary of the Turkish Ministry of Forestry and Water Affairs, Akif Ozkaldi, two Deputies of the Justice and Development Party (AKP), Selcuk Ozdag and Feramuz Ustun and the chairman of the administration board of EkoAvrasya organization will attend the workshop.
Moreover, Turkish daily Havadis newspaper (20.11.15) covers the issue of the water crisis under the title: "The project is in danger".
According to the paper, Cinar has warned in his statements the politicians that in case the uncertainty towards the issue of the management of the water is not clarified soon, then the project will be jeopardized.
 Talat: ELAM should be shut down; I am not sure how sincere is the Greek Cypriot administration for the solutionTurkish Cypriot daily Diyalog newspaper (20.11.15) reports that the chairman of the Republican Turkish Party (CTP) and former Turkish Cypriot leader Mehmet Ali Talat, called on the Greek Cypriot side to shut ELAM down. Talat was speaking to Radyo Guven where he evaluated the attacks against Turkish Cypriots by ELAM and the progress of the Cyprus negotiations.
Talat stated that in order for the negotiations to come to a conclusion, otherization, hatred and racism thought must be put to an end and laws must be prepared towards this direction. He went on and said that ELAM tried in the past to silence him as well and added that the organization must be shut down and be punished heavily. He also said that ELAM should have not been given permission to open in the first place. He also referred to some rumors according to which the police of the Republic of Cyprus did not react while the Turkish Cypriots were under attack and said that the police must be supervised better and be confronted on the issue.
"We will solve the Cyprus problem and we will live together", Talat said adding that the concerns of the Turkish Cypriots will be increased while the solution efforts are processing and this kind of incidents take place.
Replying to a question Talat said that he is not sure whether the Greek Cypriot administration is sincere as regards the solution of the Cyprus problem. "I do not know, I want to believe it, I want to believe that there is hope for a solution, but unfortunately I cannot be sure", he stated.
Finally, referring to the issue of guarantees, Talat said that it is an issue that interests not only the two sides in Cyprus but also Turkey, Greece and the UK and added that an international decision must be taken for abolishing of the guarantees in Cyprus. However, he said that 95% of the Turkish Cypriots want the guarantee system.
 Akansoy: "6,329 rural plots of land were distributed"Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (20.11.15) reports on statements by the so-called minister of interior Asim Akansoy who has said yesterday during the meeting of the so-called assembly, that so far, the "TRNC" has distributed totally 6,329 rural plots of land. He also said that totally 1,900 residences were constructed in these plots.
Akansoy further said that the "distribution of rural plots of land" has been suspended temporarily.
 Izbul met with Turkey's Health MinisterTurkish Cypriot daily Halkin Sesi newspaper (20.11.15) reports that the so-called minister of health Salih Izbul, who is visiting Turkey in order to attend the 5th Health Minister's Summit of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, (OIC) met with Turkey's Health Minister Mehmet Muezzinoglu.
In statements after the meeting, Izbul said that during the meeting, he discussed with Muezzinoglu the difficulties experienced in the health sector in the "TRNC" and asked for Turkey's support.
Stating that he conveyed to Muezzinoglu the problems experienced at the Dr. Orhan Nalbantoglu "state hospital", Izbul said that they have launched works for the construction of a new "state hospital complex" in the occupied part of Lefkosia and added that the works for finding a plot of land for the construction of the "hospital" are at the final stage.
Izbul referred also to the Oncology Center which is will be come into operation very soon and asked for Turkey's contribution and support in the framework of sending oncology experts to work at the center.
 The "Mediterranean Municipality Union" visited the breakaway regimeTurkish Cypriot daily Diyalog newspaper (20.11.15) reports that the "Mediterranean Municipality Union" visited the breakaway regime and met with Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci, "prime minister" Omer Kalyoncu and "speaker" of the so-called assembly Sibel Siber.
During the meeting they held with Siber, Hakan Tutuncu, the chairman of the Union stated that they visited the occupied area of Cyprus last year and held contacts with 41 "municipalities". On her part Siber wished that the cooperation and projects undertaken between the "TRNC municipalities" and the "Mediterranean Municipality Union" have increased.
 "GAU" participated in an IAU programme in MalaysiaTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris (20.11.15) reports that the "chancellor" and "founding dean" of the illegal Keryneia American University (GAU) Serhat Akpinar represented the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus to a leadership programme entitled: Leading Globally Engaged Universities (LGEU) organized by the International Association of Universities (IAU) in the University of Malaya (UM), in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from 15 to 20 November 2015.
 "Karpaz gate marina" participates in the contest "Marina of the year awards 2016"Turkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen (20.11.15) reports that the "Karpaz gate marina" located in the occupied peninsula of Karpasia, will participate in the contest "Marina of the year awards 2016" organized by the Yacht Harbour Association (TYHA) among 150 TYHA accredited Gold Anchor Marinas.
 Lavrov to visit Turkey on November 25; Syria, Middle East and Cyprus will be in the agendaAccording to Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (online, 20.11.15), Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov will pay a visit to Turkey on Nov. 25 to discuss issues including Syria, the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and Cyprus as part of a meeting of the High-Level Russian-Turkish Cooperation Council's (UDIK).
Russian Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Maria Zakharova said that Lavrov would attend a meeting of the Joint Strategic Planning Group, a sub-organ of UDIK, in Turkey, Anadolu Agency reported.
The situation in Syria, the Middle East and North Africa, and the peace negotiations in Cyprus would be discussed in the meeting attended by Lavrov, said Zakharova, adding that the main topic would be the fight against terrorism.
 Erdogan urges Muslim countries to unite against terrorAccording to Ankara Anatolia news agency (19.11.15), Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has called on Muslim countries to take a joint stand against terrorist organizations.
Addressing the closing session of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation's Fifth Islamic Conference of Health Ministers in Istanbul on Thursday, Erdogan said: "We should, hand in hand, have a clear and principled stand against organizations such as Daesh, Al Qaeda and Boko Haram that do the greatest harm to Muslims by using the name of Islam". He added that "notions of Islam, Muslim, Mujahid and Shariah" must be saved from being abused by terrorists.
Erdogan also maintained that the honour of the entire world's Muslims should not be left to a "handful of terrorists".
Meanwhile, Erdogan, speaking at an energy summit in Istanbul on Thursday, has accused Syria's Bashar al-Assad of supporting terrorism in the region. He also accused the Syrian regime of buying oil from Daesh. "Now, all terrorist organizations in the region are serving the Assad regime directly or indirectly," he said, adding: "Daesh is supported by Assad. Assad now is taking Daesh oil and turning it into money. One has to be blind not to see this. It is obvious."
Speaking on integration with the European Union, Erdogan said that the EU needs Turkey as the only country that can bring "social and economic dynamism" to the Union. Erdogan also blamed the EU for not realizing the Nabucco pipeline project which is aimed at carrying Iranian and Azerbaijani natural gas to Europe through Turkey.
"It has been six years that we signed on Nabucco. If you do not bring out the money, if you do not supply, this will not work," Erdogan said.
Recalling the Trans Anatolia Pipeline Project, TANAP, with Azerbaijan, Erdogan said they were the first ones to sign up and that Iraq, Turkmenistan and Eastern Mediterranean gas sources might be delivered through it. "There are developments with the Eastern Mediterranean, Iraq and Caspian regions that can strengthen Turkey's hand in becoming an energy hub," Erdogan said.
 Erdogan: AKP could make new charter with CHP supportAccording to Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (online, 20.11.15), Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has called on the country's main opposition party to lend support to the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) in its renewed efforts to enact a new Constitution, suggesting such cooperation would eliminate the need to take a fresh charter to a referendum.
Erdogan, however, also said that the people of Turkey would definitely embrace a transition from the existing parliamentary system to a presidential system if the matter is subjected to a referendum, while underlining the utmost need for harmony with the Prime Minister in the formation of a new cabinet.
In an interview aired on ATV and A Haber on Nov. 18, Erdogan noted that the AKP, which he helped found, did not possess a sufficient number of seats to take constitutional amendments to a referendum on its own.
The President recalled that the Parliament's now-dissolved Constitution Conciliation Committee had reached a consensus, in principle, close to 60 articles. "These 60 articles are not few in number. What needs to be done here? Now, even with the support of the main opposition party alone, these changes could be swiftly adopted by the Parliament without the need to resort to the national will," he said, referring to the main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP).
Following a Nov. 1 election, the CHP made clear that it would extend conditional support to the AKP's call to draft a new Constitution while repeating clear-cut reservations about a transition to a presidential system. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION