|Friday, 25 May 2018|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 14-07-04
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>DSate: 14-07-04 TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 123/14 04.07.14
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Nami says he will continue meeting with foreign AmbassadorsTurkish Cypriot daily Kibrisli newspaper (04.07.14) reports that Ozdil Nami, self-styled foreign minister of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, has strongly reacted to the diplomatic nota submitted by the Government of the Republic of Cyprus to foreign Ambassadors who had recently met with him in the occupied area of the island.
Commenting on the issue, Nami told Kibrisli that "trying with archaic approaches to prevent the voice of the Turkish Cypriot people from being heard could never be accepted". "No one can take away from us this freedom", he alleged claiming that the international community will not show consideration to this stance of the Greek Cypriots, as he described the authorities of the Republic of Cyprus.
Asked by the paper whether this approach of the Greek Cypriot side could be evaluated as an effort to "choke the voice of the Turkish Cypriot side", Nami alleged that submitting nota is "one of these efforts" and that this is not a new approach. He argued: "It is now the time to abandon some approaches of the past. It is not possible for you to open a new page by repeating the same things happened in the past. If only the repetition of what had been done in the past is on the agenda, the result could not be different than the one of the past".
Replying to a question as to whether his so-called ministry will issue a counter statement or make a similar move towards the Ambassadors, Nami said that they will issue today the necessary statement. He said that they will continue their contacts with the foreign missions and added that they will not accept any kind of obstacles on this matter. He alleged that the Turkish Cypriot "people" is an equal side of the island and the Turkish Cypriot side should definitely be taken into attention and consideration with all its "institutions".
Asked whether the foreign Ambassadors who received this nota will be influenced and decrease or stop their contacts, Nami reiterated that this was not a new move by the Greek Cypriot side and that this nota had the character of a "reminding nota" of a circular issued in the past. "Therefore, we do not think that the Ambassadors or the other representatives of international organizations will change anything within the forthcoming period", he argued.
Alleging that their contacts aimed at reaching a solution on a federal basis in Cyprus, Nami claimed: "All sides concerned closely know the struggle we give here. For this reason, behaving as if these do not exist and trying with archaic approaches to prevent the voice of the Turkish Cypriots from being heard could never be accepted. In any case, it is not respected by the international community".
Nami also alleged that the Turkish Cypriot community has representatives "elected democratically and legally" at all levels and these are accepted by the world. Nami gave as example for this the "elected representatives" of the Turkish Cypriots at the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe. Nami said that the UN Secretary-General has also met many times with various representatives of the Turkish Cypriot community and many foreign Ambassadors hold continuous and regular contacts not only with the "president of the republic", as he called the Turkish Cypriot leader, but with various circles, including himself.
Nami argued that the Turkish Cypriot community is free to meet with various representatives of the world either though the "representatives it elected with its votes" or through its civilian organizations or on individual basis. "You understand that we are among 'the sides concerned'. Therefore these contacts will continue in a regular manner", he said.
Responding to a question, Nami said that they did not issue any statement until yesterday because they were investigating whether the nota was sent only to the Ambassadors to Nicosia or to all the ambassadors.
 "Give Varosha and save the negotiations"Writing in Turkish Cypriot daily Havadis newspaper (04.07.14), columnist Esref Cetinel comments on the issue of the occupied fenced off city of Varosha and its return to its legal Greek Cypriot owners. Under the title "The issue of Varosha again (Did you not think at all of being saved from it?)" Cetinel writes, inter alia, the following:
"I wanted to use the following title for my article: 'if you love God, give this Varosha and save the negotiations'? Today Eroglu and Anastasiades will hold a leaders' meeting, as you know. In any case it should be something coordinated and two days ago the Greek Cypriot press was giving the information that Anastasiades would submit a 'Confidence Building Measures' package' of 15 articles. They said that both Varosha and the beginning of the work of a technical committee regarding Varosha are included in this CBM?
Then, let us write it again and say it frankly: Varosha stopped being a political trump card at the negotiating table anymore, because either there is an agreement or not, the only place which will be unconditionally given to the Greek Cypriots is Varosha! The argument that 'if we give Varosha, the Greek Cypriots will then lay on it and sabotage the negotiations' is invalid, because now 'it is because Varosha is not returned that the Greek Cypriot side is sabotaging the negotiations!'.
Moreover, if in return of Varosha the Port of Famagusta is restored and be opened to EU traffic, this possibility should be thought not once but a thousand times?"
Furthermore, the columnist goes on and wonders whether keeping Varosha close, would be more profitable than getting rid of this "headache for the TRNC" and taking the opening of the Port of Famagusta as a return. He describes as "wrong" the view of those who think that "the Greek Cypriot side will wait until the end of the negotiations and the issues of "territory, map and property" to "seize" Varosha. He argues that this is wrong because "there are plenty of 'political problems' that could corner the Turkish side for not coming to the 'end'".
"Besides, even if you return Varosha, they say that people could live there at least in five to six years", notes Cetinel wondering whether the Turkish side will leave the negotiations hanging in the air for five-six more years for the sake of Varosha. He concludes by saying:
"Today Anastasiades will submit a 15-article proposal to Eroglu as regards CBMs. This will include Varosha as well. At least for preventing it from becoming a problem which continuously sabotages the negotiations, say to the Greek Cypriots the following: 'Look here, Varosha is of course yours, but in order for making its return urgent, abandon your policy of putting obstacles in the negotiating process'. At least this Varosha perhaps will be useful from the point of view of speeding up the negotiations!"
 Turkish Cypriot daily says the issues of "youth and sports" of the regime are "entrusted" to TurkeyUnder the title "Youth and sports are entrusted to Turkey", Turkish Cypriot daily Havadis newspaper (04.07.14) reports that according to an agreement signed between the Turkish Ministry of Youth and Sports and the breakaway regime's self-styled ministry of economy, tourism, culture and sports, the regime's "youth and sports" issues will be controlled and supervised by an office which will be established by Turkey's Youth and Sports Ministry in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus.
With the above-mentioned agreement, this office called "Turkey's Coordination Office Abroad", could act as "youth and sports ministry". The office will be granted all the exemptions to all the "institutions" responsible for the regimes "youth and sport" and the higher education "institutions".
According to the paper, the self-styled government withdrew yesterday for reevaluation the relevant "protocol" which would have been accepted by the "assembly". The self-styled prime minister, Ozkan Yorgancioglu stated that yesterday they withdrew the "protocol" and that they will make the necessary evaluations. Among other things, the agreement provides that Turkey will cover the expenses for the operation of the office and will hire the personnel.
The Social Democracy Party (TDP) reacted yesterday to this agreement describing it contrary to the "constitution" of the regime. The party said that no "civilian and democratic" order was created in the occupied area of Cyprus and that the Turkish Cypriots could not administrate themselves and be the masters of their own "institutions".
 Serdar Denktas undergoes coronary angiographyTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi newspaper (04.07.14) reports that the chairman of the Democratic Party (DP) Serdar Denktas who was rushed to hospital after falling ill during a "parliamentary sitting" underwent a coronary angiography.
Speaking to press Dr Sevim Erkmen said that Denktas's operation went well and that he is in a good condition. "There isn't any problem with his main arteries but one of the side veins is blocked. He may need a stent to be put in" added Erkmen.
 The so-called assembly approved a "draft bill which put in order the regulations regarding the transplant of organs, human, cells and tissues"Under the front-page title: "Organ transplants free", Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (04.07.14) reports that the so-called assembly has approved yesterday unanimously the "draft bill which put in order the regulations regarding the transplant of organs, humans, cells and tissues".
In statements on the issue, the so-called minister of health Ahmet Gulle referred to the importance of the bill which will affect directly people and people's lives, as he said.
 Illegal YDU hospital has been awarded with the European Quality AwardTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (04.07.14) reports that according to a statement issued by "the press and public relations directorate" of the illegal Near East University (YDU), Prof. Dr Irfan S. Gunsel, "chairman of board of trustees" of the illegal YDU, attended the Leaders summit which took place between 1-4 July, in the city of Stresa in Italy.
Gunsel was given the European Quality Award.
As the paper writes, representatives of over 30 countries attended the event which was organized by the Oxford Business Assembly.
The award was granted to Dr Gunsel by the Europe Business Assembly, which is headquartered in Oxford, UK, for the outstanding developments of illegal YDU Hospital, its educational services, its superior foundational services, its raising competitive capacity on European and World markets and its contribution to dynamic developments to these sectors.
Delivering a speech during the Leaders' Summit meeting, Gunsel referred to the high standard education services provided by the illegal YDU university, its huge number of graduates and the important name the university gained worldwide.
As the paper points out, in the framework of his contacts in Italy, Gunsel will meet diplomats and leaders of business sectors and debate over developing the cooperation issues amongst the countries and foundations.
 Drivers kidnapped by ISIL freed after 23 days in captivityTurkish daily Zaman newspaper (04.07.14) reports that 32 truck drivers abducted by Islamist militants in Iraq three weeks ago arrived home in Turkey on Thursday, and Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said efforts to secure the release of 49 more abductees were continuing.
The drivers, who were held captive for 23 days, appeared in good health and said they had not been mistreated by the militants. The drivers declined to answer questions on the 49 Turks still held in Iraq, including special forces soldiers, diplomats and children, who were seized in the northern city of Mosul by Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) militants on June 11.
Two truck drivers told CNN Turk television that Turkish officials had advised them not to speak on the issue.
The 32 truckers were handed over to Turkey's Consul General in Arbil on Thursday afternoon, Davutoglu said at a news conference in Ankara. The drivers were greeted by Turkish officials in the predominantly Kurdish town of Makhmour before getting on a bus taking them to Arbil.
The Foreign Ministry made a statement on Wednesday, criticizing reports in the Turkish media suggesting that the timing of the release of the Turkish hostages would be used to attract sympathy from voters for the Turkish presidential election, which will be held on Aug. 10.
 Opposition candidate Ihsanoglu met President Gul in IstanbulTurkish Hurriyet Daily News (04.07.14) reports that Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, the joint presidential candidate of the Republican People's Party (CHP) and Nationalist Movement Party (MHP), met with Turkish President Abdullah Gul as part of his campaign bid, telling reporters that it was a positive meeting.
Ihsanoglu met with Gul in the presidential residence in Istanbul's Tarabya neighbourhood July 3 for around 50 minutes. The meeting was closed to the press. Ihsanoglu told reporters that it was a very positive meeting and that Gul had wished him well during the meeting. Ihsanoglu, the former head of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) and an academic, also said he had a long-term friendship with Gul whom he described as "an experienced statesman".
 Several AK Party figures stand out as potential successors to ErdoganTurkish Today's Zaman (03.07.14) writes that with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan standing a very good chance of emerging as the victor in the upcoming presidential election in August, the heated topic of discussion in politics these days is who will succeed Erdogan in the ruling party and the government after his election to the top post.
A couple of figures within the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) stand out as potential leaders of the party or heads of government in the post-Erdogan era, including Abdullah Gul, Numan Kurtulmus, Ahmet Davutoglu, Mehmet Ali Sahin and Binali Yildirim.
Should Erdogan get elected President as expected, he will need to resign -- in accordance with the Constitution, which requires that those elected as President cut off ties with their political parties so that they can act impartially -- from the AK Party and hand over party leadership and the post of prime minister to one or more of his colleagues.
The current President, Gul, who is also one of the founders of the AK Party, is one of the figures expected to take over the party. But the problem with this scenario is that Erdogan, who has made it clear that he is after a presidential system in Turkey, wants also to keep, while seated in the post of President, the reins of the government and the party.
"Erdogan is looking for a person who will act as a caretaker, a caretaker who will do as Erdogan tells him. But Gul signalled earlier that he would not agree to serve as a Prime Minister instructed by Erdogan", the paper argues and writes:
"In a tacit reference to Erdogan's desire to have all the control, Gul said in April that he did not have any future plans in politics under the current circumstances. The meaning is clear: He is not willing to take over the post of Prime Minister if Erdogan attempts to hold the reins of government in the presidential palace."
Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc also recently announced that he favors Gul as the next prime minister and head of the AK Party. Arinc, being a senior figure within the party as he is also one of the founders, used to be mentioned among would-be candidates for prime minister after Erdogan. But he dismissed any possibility of that, saying, around mid-June, that he would quit politics next year. "I don't have any intention of becoming Prime Minister," Arinc said at the press meeting during which he also expressed support for Gul.
Even if Gul agrees to switch places with Erdogan, he cannot immediately head the government, as he is not a member of Parliament. Only members of Parliament can serve, in accordance with the law, as Prime Minister. Instead, Gul might first get elected chairman of the party in a congress to be held possibly in the fall, and then run for Parliament in the general elections scheduled for 2015, which would pave the way for Gul's serving, if the AK Party wins the elections, as Prime Minister. Gul served briefly as Prime Minister from 2002-2003, before handing over the post to Erdogan.
Kurtulmus, who is currently deputy chairman of the ruling party, is another figure whose name is speculated as one of the potential leaders in the post-Erdogan era. Like Gul, he is not a deputy either, as he joined the AK Party in 2012, after the last general elections in 2011.
Kurtulmus may be considered as one of the more probable successors to Erdogan, as he is not one of the government figures who are alleged, like former Transportation Minister Binali Yildirim, to have been implicated in corruption, which a sweeping graft probe that went public in December revealed.
Yildirim, known to be close to Erdogan, is also one of the ruling party figures who might be considered a successor to Erdogan. But he also has a defect. Other than being in his third consecutive term as AK Party deputy, Yildirim is alleged to have managed, under instructions from Erdogan, a pool of money which audio clips leaked over the Internet following the graft probe revealed was formed through collections from businesspeople so that a pro-government media group could be bought out.
Davutoglu, Minister of Foreign Affairs, is another potential successor to Erdogan. Davutoglu is in his first term as an AK Party deputy, although he previously served as chief advisor to Erdogan and then, as of May 2009, as foreign minister in the AK Party government. Turkey's much-criticized foreign policy in the Middle East is a major point against Davutoglu that may hinder his chances to lead the government.
Deputy Prime Minister Mehmet Ali Sahin, who is also in his third consecutive term as deputy, is also a leading AK Party figure, one of the founders of the party, who may also be considered a candidate to succeed Erdogan. In April, Sahin said one of the deputy Prime Ministers could replace Erdogan if Erdogan is elected president. He also said he would prefer President Gul to return to the AK Party to become, following the 2015 general elections, Prime Minister.
 Man given 14-year prison sentence for taking down Turkish flagTurkish daily Zaman newspaper (04.07.14) reports that a 19-year-old man was sentenced to 14 years, four months in prison after being convicted of having taken down the Turkish flag during a meeting of the Youth Council of the pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy Party (BDP) held in the south-eastern province of Diyarbakir on Nov. 30, 2013.
The Diyarbakir 7th High Criminal Court gave its final verdict to Cekdar Odungit who was detained after he took down the flag from a flagpole at the hall where the BDP Youth Council meeting was held last year. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION