|Saturday, 20 July 2019|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 13-09-17
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No.176/13 17/09/2013
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Turkish side has reportedly prepared a plan for opening the occupied fenced VaroshaTurkish NTV (16.09.13, online) broadcast that the "TRNC", breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, has prepared a plan as a response to the Greek Cypriot demand for the return of the occupied closed city of Varosha to its legal owners. According to the 22-page plan obtained by Selim Sayari, NTV's correspondent in the occupied part of Nicosia, Varosha will be returned to its legal Greek Cypriot owners, the city's local administration will be bound to occupied Famagusta "municipality" and its security to the "police" of the breakaway regime.
Within the framework of the plan, the Greek Cypriots, who possess immovable property in Varosha, will be able to return to their property after applying to the so-called Immovable Property Commission established in the occupied area of Cyprus.
NTV argues that the plan is supported by persons from the government-controlled area of Cyprus. According to NTV, Konstandinos Lordos, one of the biggest property owners in Varosha, has stated that they do not care who will control the city and added that they only want the return of their properties.
It is noted that the Turkish Cypriot leader Eroglu and former Turkish Cypriot chief negotiator and international law expert, Kudret Ozersay have entered secretly into Varosha and held a research there. The plan took its final shape last year, reports NTV.
Diplomatic observers, argues NTV, note that such a plan might be implemented in case the appropriate conditions are formed. The plan has allegedly the characteristic of being able to be implemented in accordance to the international law without the need of acquiring the consent of the Greek Cypriots.
 Nami denied the news report that the Turkish side prepared a plan for opening the occupied fenced town of VaroshaAccording to illegal Bayrak television (online, 17.09.13), self-styled minister of foreign affairs Ozdil Nami denied the news report that the Turkish side prepared a plan for opening the occupied fenced town of Varosha. He announced that as far as he knows, a plan or a proposal prepared by the occupation regime regarding the opening of Varosha does not exist.
Nami said that they do not have any thought or any official prepared plan as the opening of Varosha to its legal owners under Turkish control.
He reiterated that the Turkish side is making an effort to reach a comprehensive solution.
Noting that they should work in a serious and discipline way regarding the negotiation, Nami said that in order to reach this target and to have a speedy completion of the process, they should focus on the issues that have remained and to adopt the convergences reached until today.
 Eroglu alleges that the Greek Cypriots should change their education system for being able to have a result in the Cyprus talksUnder the title "Eroglu: the time for a solution in Cyprus has come", Turkish Cypriot daily Star Kibris newspaper (17.09.13) reports that the Turkish Cypriot leader, Dervis Eroglu has said that the time for the solution in Cyprus has come, but the Greek Cypriot side is allegedly unwilling on this issue. In statements yesterday to a TV station, Eroglu argued that the negotiations should not be prolonged.
Eroglu alleged that the Church of Cyprus and the Greek Cypriot leaders have an influence in the "Greek Cypriot people's sharp views" and claimed the following: "They must change their education system. It could be reached nowhere as long as the Greek Cypriot leaders do not change their statements saying 'we will return to the pre-1974 period, everybody will go to his house, his property'".
Eroglu alleged that the Greek Cypriot leader must tell the truth to their people and reiterated the Turkish view that two peoples exist in Cyprus, adding that the Turkish and Greek Cypriots can live side by side in peace.
Eroglu said that he had told former President Christofias as well that if the negotiations are prolonged, the people who expect an agreement to be reached will be disappointed. "The number of the people who believe in an agreement decreases as long as the negotiations are prolonged", he argued.
Claiming that a "new state will be established in Cyprus", Eroglu alleged that we could reach nowhere only by using expressions such as "bi-zonal federal solution based on political equality" and added that the content of this solution should be determined.
Arguing that in his recent statements President Anastasiades said that he wants the involvement of Turkey and the EU in the negotiations, Eroglu alleged: "I think that the reason for which Anastasiades used Downer as mediator on the issue of Varosha and for conveying his views to Davutoglu and sees Turkey as interlocutor, is to give the message to the world that the reason of the non-agreement in Cyprus is Turkey. I am his interlocutor".
Referring to the breakaway regime's relations with Turkey and the economic "protocol", Eroglu said that when economic protocols are signed, they should be signed and implemented knowing that "we live in the TRNC". "Steps taken in Turkey cause other results and steps taken here cause other results", he noted. He said that the relations with Turkey should continue in a sincere manner and the cooperation protocols should be prepared taking into consideration the conditions of the "country".
Replying to a question, Eroglu said he does not think that there is any problem in his relations with Turkey, but "unfortunately messages which are not complying with reality are going to Ankara from here". He noted that even when two rallies had been organized in the occupied part of Nicosia in 2011, some circles said that they had been organized by Eroglu. "I have no quarrel with Ankara", he said adding that he has absolutely no problem with Turkey and the ruling AK Party.
 Nami: the "government" is ready to take a more active role in the Cyprus talksAccording to illegal Bayrak television (online, 16.09.13), self-styled foreign minister Ozdil Nami, speaking on BRT's morning news programme on Monday, said that there is full harmony with Turkey on the Cyprus problem. Nami, who met with the Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu last week, said that Turkey shared the view that the issue of Varosha could only be taken up as part of a comprehensive solution to the Cyprus problem.
Noting that they had reached full agreement over resuming the Cyprus negotiations process to reach a settlement by the first half of 2014, Nami said "they have promised to give us all the support we need".
Pointing out that he had met with the UN Special Advisor Alexander Downer on the issue of Varosha for two hours, Nami said that he was not surprised with the responses he got from the UN Special Envoy to his questions on Varosha.
He said that the reason why Varosha had not been returned was because the Greek Cypriot side had rejected the 2004 Annan Plan and added: "If there is still no progress on the issue of Varosha it is because the Greek Cypriot side is refraining from returning to the negotiating table at the leaders' level".
Pointing out that it was possible to reach a settlement in Cyprus by the end of the first half of next year, Nami said that there was more progress achieved in the talks than ever and that the Greek Cypriot side needed to respect convergences reached to this day.
Nami also said that the "government" was ready to take on a more active role in the talks and to assist the Turkish Cypriot leader in any way possible.
 Arinc: Syrian helicopter is down by Turkish jetsAccording to Ankara Anatolia news agency (16.09.13), Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc stated on Monday that a Syrian helicopter was crashed by Turkish fighter jets at 14:25 along Turkish-Syrian border.
Speaking in a press conference after the Council of Ministers meeting chaired by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Ankara, Arinc said a PI 17 helicopter at 14:20 on Monday committed a 2 km border violation into Turkish Hatay province's Yayaladagi Guvecci region along border with Syria.
"Though being warned continuously by air defence elements for many times, the violation continued and our airplanes taking off from Malatya airport hit the helicopter with missiles which then crashed in the Syrian side," Arinc said. "Till now, we have not received any information on its crew because it crashed into the Syrian side."
Reminding that Turkey's air surveillance flies on the basis of 24 hours, Arinc noted Turkey's rules of engagement changed and a new practice was executed after being continuously attacked and disturbed thereby in especially Akcakale and Viransehir regions.
 Davutoglu: None could any more dare to violate Turkish bordersUnder the title "Turkey conducted 'punitive action' by shooting Syrian helicopter, Turkish FM says", Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (online, 16.09.13) reported that Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has said that Turkey conducted a "punitive action" by downing a Syrian helicopter, justifiable in terms of international justice and rules of engagement as the helicopter violated Turkish air space despite warnings.
Davutoglu stressed that Turkey would not accept any violation of its borders. "As it was before, we are decisive about protecting our borders and citizens to the end ... The necessary information [about the incident] will be handed to NATO, the United Nations Security Council, and the U.N. General Secretary," he said.
"Nobody will dare to violate Turkey's borders again. The necessary measures have been taken," the Foreign Minister added.
 US, French, British and Turkish MFA met in ParisAccording to Ankara Anatolia news agency (16.09.13), Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu, holding a press conference at the Turkish Embassy in Paris after his talks with US, British, French, Qatari and Saudi Arabian top diplomats to discuss the chemical weapons agreement on Syria and a related French-drafted UN resolution, stated that he was in touch with his counterparts regarding the latest developments on international efforts towards a solution to the Syrian crisis.
Turkish top diplomat said they agreed on taking the next steps as well as the continuing P3+1 format on technical and political levels, referring to their consultations on holding a core and general assembly meeting of the Friends of Syria Group in New York.
"All of the P3 countries are our allies as NATO members. I welcome their proposal to hold a meeting with us in the P3+1 format as a positive step. As Turkey is the country that could directly contribute to the peace and the incidents in Syria as neighbouring country to Syria and a NATO member," noted Davutoglu.
Davutoglu stressed that the UN final report on chemical weapons use in Syria's Damascus on August 21 confirmed that sarin gas was used.
"The sarin gas, considering its sophisticated form and its composition cannot be produced unprofessionally by the Syrian opposition in a workshop or a house, as claimed by some," he argued.
He also highlighted that the report provided evidence that surface-to-surface rockets containing the nerve agent sarin were used in August 21 attack, "which could only be mounted via means in the hands of the Syrian regime forces."
Davutoglu argued that a process of elimination Syria's chemical weapons arsenal that could take months would be abused by the Assad regime.
 Gul: UNSC should seriously listen to TurkeyAccording to Ankara Anatolia news agency (16.09.13), as the UN Security Council (UNSC) prepares to draft a resolution for the Syrian deal, Turkish President Abdullah Gul said on Monday that the Council should seriously listen to Turkey.
"It is said that there is about one ton of chemical weapons in Syria. We will be the happiest one when the chemical weapons are completely wiped out. So we support [the plan]," Gul told press members in Ankara.
Under a plan brokered by Russia and the US, Syria agreed to disclose its full chemical arms arsenal within a week and eliminate it by mid-2014.
The UN Security Council is expected to draft a resolution for the Syrian deal in the coming days.
"The Council should seriously listen to Turkey since it was the one most affected by what was happening in Syria," Gul emphasized before receiving ambassadors of Benine and Belgium who presented their letters of credence.
Turkish President also underlined the need of a "strong political determination" to resolve the more than two years of crisis in Syria.
 Leader of PYD claims Ankara has hand in atrocities of extremists in SyriaTurkish daily Today's Zaman (online, 16.09.13) reported that Saleh Muslim, leader of the largest Kurdish faction in Syria, has accused Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) of having a hand in the atrocities committed by extremist groups who are fighting against the regime in Syria.
Muslim, the head of Syria's Democratic Union Party (PYD) -- an offshoot of Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), claimed Ankara is feeding extremist groups in Syria while at the same time government officials are having talks with the PYD.
"On the one hand you are having talks with us. While on the other, you set your dogs on us. Pull yourself together. We will defend ourselves with our own free will and will be victorious," Muslim was reported as saying by the Taraf daily as he targeted Erdogan during an addressing in Stockholm.
Muslim, speaking during a speech he delivered at a cultural festival in Stockholm on Sunday, said beheading people and biting into their hearts in the 21st century were products of a culture that prevailed 1,500 years ago and claimed that Erdogan had a hand in such atrocities. The PYD leader said violent and barbaric thugs had launched massacres against Syrian civilians.
 Pakistani PM: Pakistan has always supported Turkish stance on the Cyprus problemUnder the title "Sharif: Pakistan, Turkey need to boost trade, investment", Turkish daily Today's Zaman (online, 16.09.13) published the first exclusive interview of Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif with the Turkish media since his election victory.
On the Pakistani Prime Minister's landmark visit to Turkey, Sharif told Today's Zaman that his "visit is aimed at putting in place institutional mechanisms, which will provide a strong platform for further cementing economic ties."
He underlined the excellent political relations between the two countries: "A huge reservoir of goodwill and affection flows from one country to another." Sharif lamented, however, that there is a long way to go to translate these excellent political relations into tangible and robust trade relations.
He called on Turkish businesspeople and entrepreneurs to invest in Pakistan, especially in sectors like energy, infrastructure, engineering and agro-based industry. Citing recent success stories involving Turkish companies in Pakistan, like Lahore's Metro Bus System and a wind energy project in Sindh, Sharif called Pakistan an investor-friendly country that offers complete legal protection and fair treatment to both local and foreign companies.
Sharif is leading a large business delegation to Turkey and their meetings coincide with the Third High Level Cooperation Council. On Wednesday, Sharif will participate in a business forum in Istanbul to be attended by Pakistani and Turkish businesspeople.
Sharif emphasized Turkey's role as a bridge between Asia and Europe, and Pakistan's potential to become a gateway to energy-rich Central Asia.
Asked whether he has concerns by the developing ties between Turkey and India and whether Turkey has softened its policy regarding Kashmir in order to protect its ties with India, Pakistani Prime Minister answered as follows:
"Turkey is a trusted friend of Pakistan. Turkey, like any other sovereign country, is free to forge relations with other countries, including India, according to its own national interest. Pakistan has always supported Turkish stance on the Cyprus issue and we are confident that Turkey will continue to support Pakistan's stance on the Kashmir issue."
 University students who protested Turkish PM face 6 years in jailTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (online, 16.09.13) reported that an Ankara prosecutor has demanded six years in prison for the 45 university students who held a protest against Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan during the launch ceremony of a Turkish satellite in December 2012.
Ankara's 14th Criminal Court of First Instance accepted the indictment on Sept. 16, where prosecutors sought six years behind bars for the 45 Middle East Technical University (ODTU) students. The students are alleged to have violated the "Meetings and Demonstrations Law" and to have "resisted [the police] to prevent [them] from performing [their] duty."
"It has been understood that a student group of around 400 people, some of whom were not ODTU students, threw petrol bombs, soda bottles and marbles, which they took out of their backpacks, at the police who were taking measures. They attacked [the police] with batons and fireworks and set the wood they found on fire," reads part of the indictment.
Protests were sparked when Erdogan came to the ODTU campus for the launching ceremony of the Turkish satellite named "Gokturk-2" on Dec. 18, 2012. Clashes between students and police took place, in which police used excessive tear gas and pressurized water to disperse the students from marching to the area where the ceremony was taking place.
Baris Barisik, the student who suffered a cerebral haemorrhage and remained in a critical condition for days after being hit by a tear gas capsule that was fired by the police during the protests, was also among the 45 students to be indicted.
Barisik said he was injured due to the police's shooting by targeting him and that he had filed a complaint against the police. The prosecution office then sent the interrogation file of Barisik and others who had pressed charges against the police's excessive use of force to the Employee Crimes Investigation Bureau.
The suspects denied the accusations against them by stating that they had "attended the demonstration, which was organized to protest the prime minister's political implementations, and used their democratic rights." The trial is set to start on Dec. 18, 2013.
A separate investigation is being conducted into nine students on the grounds of "terrorist connections," according to Article 10 of the Anti-Terror Law. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION