|Tuesday, 19 March 2019|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 12-04-26
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 80/12 26.4.12
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Turkey and the breakaway regime launch illegally oil drilling in the occupied area of CyprusAnkara Anatolia (AA), news agency (25.04.12) reports that Turkey's state-run oil company is set to start drilling for oil and gas in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, under an agreement signed illegally last year in September, between Turkey and the breakaway regime.
The Turkish Petroleum Corporation, or TPAO, will start drilling on Thursday morning at a field in occupied Syngrasi village in Famagusta with a ceremony which will be participated by Turkish Energy and Natural Resources Minister Taner Yildiz, the Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu and the self-styled prime minister Irsen Kucuk.
TPAO has said it planned to drill as deep as 3,000 meters at the well which has been named Turkyurdu-1.
On September 21, Turkish Premier Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Eroglu signed in New York an illegal agreement "on the delineation of the continental shelf between two countries in the East Mediterranean".
Under the agreement, TPAO will be able to make three dimensional seismic researches and drilling in the land and sea in the occupied area of Cyprus, more actively.
On September 22, the self-styled council of ministers gave exploration license to TPAO, to explore oil and natural gas "around Cyprus".
Commenting on the issue, the self-styled economy and energy minister of the breakaway regime, Sunat Atun said that the occupation regime "would enter the world market as an owner of a natural resource".
Speaking to AA, Atun said that TPAO would begin exploration for oil and natural gas in the breakaway regime on Thursday "based on an agreement signed between the TPAO and TRNC (as he called the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus)".
"All works presently are intended as a research", Atun stated and added: "It is a fact that we are sitting on a reserve. We will explore natural resources on land and in water. The TRNC will enter the world market as an owner of a natural resource. The TRNC will enter the natural gas market of the world", he said.
In addition, illegal Bayrak television (25.04.12) broadcast that the self-styled prime minister Irsen Kucuk, commenting on the same issue alleged that the exploratory drilling activities in the were being carried out unilaterally "due to the Greek Cypriot side's attitude".
 Eroglu alleges that the Turkish side has given a concession by accepting to discuss federation in CyprusTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (26.04.12) reports that Turkish Cypriot leader, Dervis Eroglu alleged yesterday that the Turkish Cypriot side has given a concession by accepting to discuss a federal solution in Cyprus. In statements during a meeting with the Muktars' (heads of village) Union, Eroglu argued that President Christofias believes that he has given the necessary concession by accepting federation. Eroglu claimed that the Turkish Cypriots have also a "state" and they also discuss federation. "If what the Greek Cypriots are doing is a concession, we are also giving the same concession", he argued.
Eroglu alleged that the Greek Cypriot side, which wants the continuation of the Republic of Cyprus, is responsible for the lack of agreement in the negotiations and added that the Turkish Cypriots should not accuse each other of this. He claimed that the previous Turkish Cypriot leaders also wanted an agreement, but this was not possible because of the so-called lack of will of the Greek Cypriot side.
Eroglu said that the aim of his election as "president" and his presence at the negotiating table, is to "register the just cause of the Turkish Cypriot people" and to secure that they will take - with an agreement - the rights that they should take.
Eroglu accused the Greek Cypriot side and President Christofias of knowing only to take at the negotiations and alleged that reaching an agreement with President Christofias is not possible.
The union expressed its support to Eroglu for the negotiations. Furthermore, the Turkish Cypriot leader met yesterday with a delegation from the Culture and Solidarity Association of the Turkish settlers from Konya, who also expressed their support to his stance in the negotiations.
 Kucuk: "Negotiations might stop or continue at a lower level"Turkish Cypriot daily Gunes newspaper (26.04.12) reports that self-styled prime minister, Irsen Kicuk has alleged that the Cyprus negotiations might stop or continue at a lower level. In statements to illegal TAK news agency, Kucuk referred yesterday to the fact that the UN Secretary-General has not invited an international conference on the Cyprus problem on the grounds that there was not enough progress in the negotiations. He noted: "In this environment the negotiations could stop for a certain period or be degraded and continue at a lower level. However, it is obvious that holding negotiations with a favourable result does not seem possible in this period".
Kucuk said that they will evaluate the new environment with the Turkish Cypriot leader Eroglu, the Turkish Cypriot political parties and Ankara. He noted that he expects "the necessary implementations" to start after this evaluation.
When he was reminded of the fact that the UN Secretary-General has not invited an international conference on the Cyprus problem, Kucuk pointed out to the EU term presidency of the Republic of Cyprus and argued that "this constitutes a separate problem". He added, inter alia, the following: "?A dangerous process both for us and for Turkey from the point of view of continuing our negotiations has started. It is put forward that there will be a six-month delay at least...Therefore, in this environment the negotiations might stop for a certain period of time or degraded to lower levels and continue at lower levels. However, it is obvious that holding negotiations with a favourable result, does not seem possible in this period. Of course, after the completion of the EU term presidency there is presidential elections in the south [Translator's note: in the Republic of Cyprus]. In any case we shall together see the stance of the new president who will be elected. During this process holding effective and fruitful negotiations does not seem very possible?"
Asked about the Turkish Plan B and whether they have discussed with Ankara the issue of changing the name of the breakaway regime into "Turkish Cypriot State", Kucuk said they have a Plan B "for every time" and added that as far as he knows the issue of changing their name has not been discussed with Ankara. He alleged: "In any case, such a thing is not necessary. It would not be ethical to enter into a new quest while the negotiations continue. Therefore, as Turkish side we have not entered into such a thing and we will not do it".
 Talat evaluates the stance of the Greek Cypriot side; Ozgurgun wants the UNSG to say that the UN cannot solve the Cyprus problemUnder the title "Ban's words will show the way", Turkish Cypriot daily Haberdar newspaper (26.04.12) publishes statements by the former Turkish Cypriot leader Mehmet Ali Talat and the self-styled minister of foreign affairs, Huseyin Ozgurgun regarding a statement by the Government Spokesman Stefanos Stefanou, who has reportedly said that the Greek Cypriot political parties have agreed to act in a coordinated manner for struggling against the Turkish "Plan B".
Haberdar reports that Talat alleged that the Greek Cypriot side does not feel discomfort about the recent developments, because it does not need a solution. He argued that the Greek Cypriots are making plans to breast possible steps to be taken afterwards and added that he has the impression that these plans "had been made for a long period of time". He said that the Greek Cypriots will present the efforts which the Turkish Cypriots will exert in the direction of the lifting of their so-called isolations, as "sign of a separate state" and will ask their condemnation. Noting that the Turkish side does not say what their Plan B is, Talat said that the Greek Cypriots understand that this would be the lifting of the "isolations" or upgrade of the "TRNC". "They see as danger even these", he added noting that the increase of Turkish investments in the occupied area of Cyprus are influential and, in parallel to statements made by officials from Turkey, they result in the Greek Cypriot's feeling discomfort and increase their activities.
In his statements Ozgrugun noted that the Turkish side has a Plan B but it has not said what it is. Ozgurgun added that the Turkish side will act "according to the words to be said by the UN Secretary-General". He noted: "Now we are expecting the words to be said by the UN Secretary-General. He is not inviting a multilateral conference. He sees that no result will be achieved before 1 July. He was the one who referred to the 'end game'. He was saying that if the negotiations are not completed by 1 July, they would be meaningless. Let him be honest now and say that 'I cannot solve it".
Ozgurgun said that they want to hear these words by the UN Secretary-General. He noted that if the UN Secretary-General says these words, the Turkish side will get into action.
 TDP: The negotiations should continue until a lasting and just solution is reachedTurkish Cypriot daily Ortam newspaper (26.04.12) reports that Cemal Ozyigit, general secretary of the Social Democracy Party (TDP), has said that the Cyprus negotiations should continue until an early, lasting and just solution is reached. In a written statement issued yesterday on the occasion of the anniversary of the referendum on the Annan Plan in 2004, Ozyigit warned that failure in the Cyprus talks would intensify the process of the annihilation of the Turkish Cypriots. He argued that time is working against the Turkish Cypriots and added: "The Turkish Cypriots urgently need solution and peace. Therefore, the spirit of the struggle of the Annan Plan period should be revived".
Ozyigit argued that the statement by the UN that an international conference could not be convened because there is not enough progress in the negotiations, is an open sign that both sides have not carried out their duty. He said that the Turkish Cypriot leader Eroglu should either show will towards the solution or resign.
 Self-styled minister of tourism held contacts in FYROM in the framework of a Tourism FairTurkish Cypriot daily Haberdar newspaper (26.04.12) reports that the breakaway regime is participating in a Tourism Fair organized in Skopje, the capital of the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM).
According to the paper, the self-styled tourism, environment and culture minister, Unal Ustel, along with the actor Necati Sasmaz, who was appointed recently "culture and tourism attache" of the occupation regime, travel to FYROM to hold contact in the framework of the Fair.
Ustel met with the State Minister of FYROM, Hadi Nezir and the Minister of Economy Valon Sarakini.
The paper writes that efforts will be exerted so that charted flights from FYROM to the occupied area of Cyprus to be conducted once a week, aiming to increase the number of tourists visiting the breakaway regime from the Balkan countries up to 10 thousands.
A big flag of the breakaway regime was hoisted at the Fair, writes the paper adding that Sasmaz, leading actor in Valley of the Wolves series, is very popular in the Balkans and due to his influence the tourists from FYROM to the occupation regime will increase.
 More about the activities of the illegal universities of the breakaway regimeTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (26.04.12) reports that the "Sea and Fishing Industry institution" of the illegal Lefka European University (LEU) participated in the "International open ocean aquaculture forum" which took place in Bremerhaven, Germany.
In addition, the illegal Keryneia American University (GAU) will organize a conference under the name "8th International Cyprus Researches Congress". According to the paper, 59 experts from Turkey, Italy, UK, Poland and Azerbaijan will participate in the conference.
 "February 28 probe continues with fresh detentions"Under the above title, Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily news newspaper (26.04.12) published the followings article regarding the third wave of arrest for the February 28 postmodern coup of 1997:
"A specially authorized Ankara prosecutor ordered the detentions of 13 military personnel as part of a probe into the February 28 postmodern coup of 1997.
General Yildirim Turker, a former member of the 'Western Working Group Crisis Desk' during the February 28 postmodern coup was also detained in Ankara. DHA Photo.
Turkish police launched a third wave of raids yesterday, in which former Gendarmerie commander Fevzi Turkeri was detained and a dozen locations across Turkey were searched as part of a probe into the February 28 postmodern coup of 1997.
A specially authorized Ankara prosecutor ordered the detentions of 13 military personnel, seven of them active-duty troops, while officials conducted searches at 12 different locations in Ankara, Istanbul, Izmir and Kars, including the lodgings of suspect troops in military zones, according to reports.
Authorities have already detained former Gendarmerie commander Gen. Fevzi Turkeri at his residence in Ankara. Turkeri is known as the general who issued briefings to members of the press during the post-modern coup, also known as the 'February 28 process'.
Officials also searched the home of retired lieutenant general Yildirim Turker, a former member of the 'Western Working Group Crisis Desk' during the February28 postmodern coup.
Taner Yildiz, Minister of Energy and Natural Resources said the process was a sign of 'normalization'. 'Turkey is growing healthily, our growth is not an obesity. Turkey's heart and mind are growing proportionally', Yildiz said when asked about the investigation over February28 in a press meeting after ICCI 2012's opening ceremony yesterday.
Former Energy Minister Recai Kutan, who was in the Cabinet of the Refah-Yol coalition government between 1996 and 1997, also said Turkey was normalizing with the investigation on February 28 process. 'Turkey was split into two parts in those days. The judicial remedy is not taking revenge. If Turkey had not lived through February 28, it could be way ahead today', Kutan said.
A total of 18 suspects, including Gen. Cevik Bir, who served as Deputy Chief of General Staff during the coup, were arrested on April 12 during the first wave of raids in the investigation. Erol Ozkasnak, a retired major general and a leading figure in the February 28 process was arrested along with eight other suspects during the second wave on April 19.
The police mainly questioned suspects about the 'Western Action Concept' of the 'Western Working Group', which was a committee of military officials that is said to have monitored the government's activities and kept illegal records of private information about thousands of people.
The February 28 process refers to a harsh military-led campaign that forced Turkey's first Islamist Prime Minister Necmettin Erbakan to resign in June 1997 after serving in office for only a year.
The process derives its name from the February 28, 1997, meeting of the National Security Council (MGK), in which Turkey's then-omnipotent military imposed a series of tough secularist demands on Erbakan that were primarily aimed at curbing Islamic education in the face of what was perceived to be a growing threat to Turkey's secular system."
 Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Babacan to visit United StatesAnkara Anatolia news agency (25.04.12) reports that the Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Ali Babacan will travel to the United States on Thursday.
During his visit, he will hold talks in Boston and Chicago, he will meet with investors in Boston and deliver a speech at The Fletcher School on Friday. Babacan will have on Saturday, a meeting with investors in Chicago.
He is set to return to Turkey on Sunday.
 Turkish satellites to cover six billion peopleAnkara Anatolia (AA), news agency (25.04.12) reports that the Director General of Turksat Ozkan Dalbay said that they wanted rights for a new orbit so that 90 percent of the world's population is covered.
Speaking to AA, Dalbay stated the following: "In 2019, we would be covering 90 percent of the world's population and 71 percent of the world's lands with right for five orbits and seven satellites".
"We have filed an application with the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) for new orbits from the Far East to the far west corners of the world", Dalbay said.
"While we can reach two billion people today, we intend to reach six billion people in 2019", Dalbay also said.
Turksat A.S. is the only satellite operator company in Turkey. Turksat manages and operates three satellites (Turksat 1C, Turksat 2A, Turksat 3A) and provides all types of satellite communications through Turksat and other satellites. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION http://www.moi.gov.cy/pio