|Friday, 15 November 2019|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Press and Other Media, 08-02-29
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH PRESS AND OTHER MEDIA No. 43/08 29.02.08
[A] NEWS ITEMS
[A] NEWS ITEMS
 Ercakica confirms that the Turkish Cypriot leader has sent a letter to the UN Secretary - GeneralTurkish Cypriot daily Afrika newspaper (29.02.08), under the title Return to Annan again, reports that after the defeat of former President Tassos Papadopoulos in the elections, the Plan B, which has been drawn in Ankara, was put into effect. The paper notes that after the first round of the elections, the Turkish Cypriot leader Talat sent a letter to the UN Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon and asked for the new negotiations process to start with the Annan Plan. The paper reports, inter alia, the following:
The letter of Talat dated 22nd February, has been kept secret from the public, but the spokesman of Talat revealed it after it had been disclosed in the press in the south yesterday. Its content, however, was kept secret. This secrecy of the Turkish side has been spoiled by the US Ambassador, Ronald Schlicher. Schlicher has briefed the representatives of the permanent members of the UN Security Council in Nicosia regarding the letter. It is supposed that the letter has been written at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Turkey. While [in the letter] it is asked for the 5th version of the Annan Plan to be taken as reference, the division of the Island is stressed in case of a non-solution. It is estimated that the Annan Plan was brought again onto the table with the intention of dragging the new Greek Cypriot leadership to intransigence like Tassos Papadopoulos.
Meanwhile, Turkish Cypriot daily Star Kibris newspaper (29.02.08), under the title The basis is the 5th Annan Plan, reports that Hasan Ercakica, spokesman of the Turkish Cypriot leader Talat, admitted that the Turkish side has sent a letter to the UN Secretary-General clarifying the stance of the Turkish side. Ercakica said: We wanted to assist the new initiative by putting forward our view on the Cyprus problem.
Furthermore, Turkish Cypriot daily Ortam newspaper (29.02.08) refers to the same issue under the title Talat started the trickery.
Finally, Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (29.02.08) refers to the issue under the title Letter to Ban by President Talat and reports that Mr Ercakica said that at this stage they will not reveal the content of the letter because of Mr Talats attitude for not turning the new period in Cyprus into a race of creating image. The paper complains about the fact that the Turkish Cypriot public has once more been informed about something from the Greek Cypriot press.
 How the Turkish Cypriot press saw the statements of President Christofias at the ceremony for his investitureTurkish Cypriot daily Afrika newspaper (29.02.08), under the title Christofias took the oath; End to occupation and colonization refers to the statements made yesterday by the President of the Republic at the ceremony for his investiture.
Turkish Cypriot daily Kibrisli newspaper (29.02.08) refers to the same issue under the title Chauvinism and accuses the views expressed by the President of the Republic of being chauvinistic. The paper alleges that President Christofias stated that he would not recognize to the Turkish Cypriots more rights than those which Maronites and Latins have. The paper alleges that even former President Tassos Papadopoulos has not said this so clearly.
Moreover, Turkish Cypriot daily Halkin Sesi newspaper (29.02.08) refers to President Christofias statements under the title Christofias pointed out to Turkey for the solution.
Furthermore, Turkish Cypriot daily Gunes newspaper (29.02.08) covers the issue under the title Christofias is like Tassos.
Finally, Turkish Cypriot daily Yeni Volkan newspaper (29.02.08) refers to President Christofias statements under the title We will put an end to occupation and alleges that the President of the Republic put forward the equality of the citizens instead of the political equality. Noting that our rights in the 1960 agreements were against the Greeks, the Maronites, the Armenians and the Latins, he said it is not possible for these rights to be re-established, alleges the paper.
 The number of the illegal migrants has reportedly increased because of the occupied Famagusta port Latakia sea lineTurkish Cypriot daily Afrika newspaper (29.02.08) reports that 1028 illegal migrants have entered into the occupied areas of Cyprus within the past five years. Invoking information acquired by illegal TAK news agency from the police, the paper notes that the number of the illegal migrants who entered into the occupied areas in 2003 was 99, in 2004 163, in 2005 111, in 2006 293 and in 2007 362.
The paper writes that the number of the migrants increased after the occupied Famagusta port Latakia sea line began. The advocate Kivanc Aktug, Responsible for the Humanitarian Aid Mission Program of the United Nations High Commission for the Refugees (UNHCR), said that while in 2006 the number of the migrants who applied to them asking for asylum in the occupied north part of Cyprus was 200, in 2007 this number increased to 731 with the beginning of the occupied Famagusta port Latakia line.
Mr Aktug said that 1600 dollars are taken from those who come with the occupied Famagusta Latakia line. This sum includes five nights staying at a hotel, he noted and added that those who come like this disappear after staying at the hotel for few nights. He said that those who leave their passports and belongings at the hotel run away to the free areas of the island.
 Statements by Bulutoglulari and Soyer on the opening of the Ledra Street crossing pointTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (29.02.08) reports that Cemal Bulutoglulari, self-styled mayor of the occupied part of Nicosia, has said that the Turkish Cypriot leader, Mehmet Ali Talat, had authorized him on the issue of the opening of the Ledra Street (Lokmaci area) barricade.
In statements to a TV station, Mr Bulutoglulari called on President Christofias to give the same authority to the Mayor of Nicosia, Mrs Eleni Mavrou. He alleged that the first job which President Christofias should do is the opening of the Ledra Street crossing point and claimed that this is an opportunity for Mr Christofias to prove that he supports peace.
Furthermore, Turkish Cypriot daily Star Kibris newspaper (29.02.08) reports that Ferdi Sabit Soyer, self-styled prime minister, has argued that the Greek Cypriots have turned the opening of the Ledra Street crossing point into a taboo and called on President Christofias to demolish this taboo. In statements to the paper, Mr Soyer alleged that the crossing point has not been opened because of the stance of former President Papadopoulos.
He claimed that the Turkish side is ready for the opening of the barricade and that the existing crossing points have been opened upon unilateral initiatives undertaken by the Turkish side. Responding to a question, Mr Soyer said that they do not want any different procedure than the one implemented at the other crossing points at the Ledra Street area.
 Yasar Yakis claims that the Cyprus problem is not among the criteria for Turkeys accession to the EUTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (29.02.08) reports that Yasar Yakis, Chairman of the EU Harmonization Committee of the Turkish Grant National Assembly (TGNA), has argued that the issue of the TRNC is not among the criteria for Turkeys accession to the European Union (EU).
In statements in Germany, Mr Yakis claimed that this is a totally independent and different issue. However, they are putting this in front of us. Basically what they are putting in front of us is not the TRNC issue. There is no political will in the EU to accept Turkey. They are looking for excuses. They have found an excellent excuse and they are hiding behind this.
 British MEP says that the Turkish Cypriots should not lose their hope and trust the EUTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (29.02.08) reports that Richard Howitt, British member of the European Parliament, told the paper that the Turkish Cypriots should not lose their hope and trust the European Union. In statements to the correspondent of Kibris in London, he congratulated the Turkish Cypriots for their yes vote at the referendum for the Annan Plan.
Mr Howitt said that the change in the presidency of the Republic of Cyprus is positive and expressed the hope for the results of the elections to change the future of Cyprus. He pointed out that the Cyprus problem is an important issue both for the people of the island and the EU.
 Statement by the CTP on the Cyprus problemTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (29.02.08) reports that the central administrative committee of the Republican Turkish Party (CTP) has issued a statement alleging that the effort of showing the Turkish side responsible for the non solution is unfair.
In the statement which is a reaction to the Cyprus Peace Platforms letter to the Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan, the CTP noted that the non solution in Cyprus could be overcome with talks between the two communities under the UN umbrella. It also argued that searching for platforms to find a solution outside this is tantamount to trying to turn the non solution into a lasting situation.
The CTP argued that at the referendum in 2004 the Turkish Cypriots showed their will for a bi-communal bi-zonal federation based on the political equality of the communities.
 A cooperation protocol was signed between TGNA and the illegal YDUTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (29.02.08) reports that a protocol was signed yesterday between the Turkish Grant National Assembly (TGNA) and the illegal Near East University (YDU) aiming at institutionalizing their cooperation in the Integrated Library Automation Program and other IT services.
The speaker of the TGNA, Koksal Toptan stated that with this development the allegation that the TRNC is a centre of education is strengthened. He said that they are happy to see the upgrade of the quality of the education provided at the illegal universities in the occupied areas of Cyprus and the increase in the number of the students there.
 Military issues and NATO-EU relations among the issues discussed during Gates and Gonul meeting in AnkaraAnkara Anatolia news agency (28.02.08) reported the following from Ankara:
Turkish National Defense Minister Vecdi Gonul said Thursday Turkish troops would remain in north of Iraq as long as necessary and they had no intention of staying in Iraq after the mission was accomplished.
U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates who arrived in Turkish capital of Ankara on Wednesday met his Turkish counterpart Vecdi Gonul. They held a joint press conference after their meeting.
Gonul said they discussed issues of cooperation in areas of military, defense industry and technology, NATO-EU relations and the fight against terrorism. Gonul said Turkish army targeted only PKK camps and facilities, not civilian buildings and villages. He said they had no intention to disturb civil authorities, interfere with domestic politics or invade any territories.
This is an operation to restore rule of law and order, noted Gonul.
Gonul regarded Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's meeting with U.S. President George W. Bush at the White House on November 5th as a turning point in the two countries' fight against terrorism and recalled that the intelligence sharing started at that date.
Gonul said the U.S. supported Turkey's combat against the terrorist organization PKK by providing intelligence, opening the Iraqi airspace to Turkey and using their influence on Iraqi territory to the favor of Turkey. He said thanks to the accurate intelligence U.S. provided, Turkey made successful air strikes on precise targets.
Gonul recalled the ground operation was launched on February 21st against PKK's terrorist camps in the north of Iraq and said this operation was carried out not only for the security and safety of Turkish people but also of Iraqi people. Gonul said the support U.S. extended to Turkey --including support in the combat against PKK-- in the international arena was very important.
 Turkey rejects the US demand of sending troops to AfghanistanTurkish daily Hurriyet newspaper (28.02.08) reported the following:
INCLUDEPICTURE "cid:image002.gif@01C87AB1.64CFF710" \* MERGEFORMATINET Turkey's Chief General Staff Gen. Yasar Buyukanit rejected U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates' demand from Turkey to send combat teams to Afghanistan.
We battle against terrorism even at the moment. Turkish soldiers are at a war against PKK. Therefore, it is not possible for us to send any soldiers for the combat against terrorism in Afghanistan, Buyukanit said.
Turkey, which has commanded the ISAF twice, has around 750 troops in the Kabul area. In addition, there are around 100 Turkish military and civilian personnel based in Vardak in southern Kabul who make up provincial reconstruction teams.
 Turkish President Gul to visit Romania on 2 MarchAnkara Anatolia news agency (28.02.08) reported the following from Ankara:
Turkish President Abdullah Gul will leave for Romania on March 2nd upon an invitation from Romanian President Traian Basescu.
Romanian President Basescu will welcome President Gul at full military honors on March 3rd.
Gul and Basescu will co-chair talks between Turkish and Romanian delegations following their tete-a-tete meeting.
Gul will also attend Turkish-Romanian Business Forum meeting to be organized by Foreign Economic Relations Board (DEIK) and visit Turkish Martyrdom in Bucharest.
Gul is also expected to meet Turkish citizens living in Romania before leaving for Ankara on March 3rd.