|Thursday, 17 October 2019|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Press and Other Media, 03-12-03
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH PRESS AND OTHER MEDIA No.229/03 03.12.03
[A] NEWS ITEMS
[A] NEWS ITEMS
 Reactions on the Titina Loizidou case; Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs argues that the decision will not be a precedent for similar cases; Denktas says they gained time to make their views on global exchange of properties acceptedUnder the banner headlines "One million and 200 thousand dollars to Loizidou", Turkish Cypriot daily KIBRIS newspaper (03.12.03) reports that yesterday Turkey fulfilled the decision of the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) which was asking Ankara to pay compensation to the Greek Cypriot Titina Loizidou, because since 1974 Turkish invasion of Cyprus she was prevented by Turkey from using her property in occupied Kyrenia.
The paper notes that the Council of Europe (COE) accepted the condition set forward by Turkey regarding Mrs Loizidou being able to use her property. Turkey demanded that this issue is discussed before the end of 2005.
KIBRIS publishes also a statement by Turkey's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which said that fulfilling the requirement of the ECHR decision would not constitute a precedent for the future and other cases.
According to the statement, ECHR's Loizidou decision "was excluded from agenda" with the decision adopted by the COE Committee of Delegates yesterday. The statement noted that declaration made by Turkey during the meeting of the Committee of Delegates, which stressed the understanding about fulfilment of the requirement of ECHR's decision on Loizidou case was noted down and registered by the decision adopted by the Committee.
''Thus, the understanding that fulfilling the requirement of the decision on Loizidou case will not constitute an example for the future has been adopted,'' the statement argued.
The statement pointed out that Turkey had also explained its approach to the Cyprus issue and the so-called Commission of Compensation of Immovable Properties formed in the occupied areas of the island.
Furthermore, the statement points out the decision that talks on the implementation of the decision made by ECHR on Loizidou case in 1996 would not start before the end of 2005.
"Thus, we aimed to prevent a possible development which may affect negotiations regarding the Cyprus issue", claimed the Turkish Foreign Ministry and concluded:
"The mentioned decisions are in line with Turkey's approach and meet Turkey's expectations. Although we consider fulfilment of requirement of Loizidou decision unfair and wrong, our move shows that we fulfil our common obligation to preserve the esteem of the ECHR. Also, an element preventing progress in our relations with the COE and the European Union has been removed".
Meanwhile, commenting on the issue, the Turkish Cypriot leader, Rauf Denktas alleged that Turkey had been forced to pay the compensations to Mrs Loizidou in order to "save the honour of the ECHR".
Mr Denktas alleged also that the ECHR's Loizidou decision was unacceptable and that the issue of the properties in Cyprus could not be solved on the basis of this decision.
"However", he added, "by postponing the two articles (of the decision) which are unacceptable and would totally prevent reaching an agreement in Cyprus in case they were accepted, we have gained time in order to be able to explain to the circles concerned that the issue of the properties should massively be settled with a political decision".
Referring to the illegal title deeds issued for the occupied Greek Cypriot property that his regime distributed to Turkish Cypriots and settlers from Turkey, Mr Denktas claimed: "The decisions we have taken were necessary measures for peace, stability and the continuation of the economic life, because of the massive immigration of both sides. Not seeing these and insisting on solving the Cyprus problem within the framework of the Loizidou case, means torpedoing the foundation of the settlement of the Cyprus problem".
Furthermore, Turkish Cypriot daily AFRIKA newspaper (03.12.03) refers to the issue under the title "Turkey paid" and adds: "The Loizidou crisis which lasted for about five years has finally ended. Turkey won a diplomatic victory in Strasbourg, in spite of the fact that it paid the compensation". In its daily column "Letter from AFRIKA", the paper supports, inter alia the following: ".The result on the Loizidou case shows that Europe approaches Turkey with caution and for now it does not intent to exert any pressure on (Ankara). As it is understood, Europe does not care to see Cyprus united, as much as the Cypriots care about this. Let us be thankful to them if they do not register the division of the island".
Turkish Cypriot daily YENI DUZEN newspaper (03.12.03) refers to the issue under the title "And the compensation was paid". The paper writes: "Those who have been saying that nothing would happen were wrong! Now the danger of all the Greek Cypriots returning to their homes, if a solution is not found, has become definite".
 The occupation regime creates difficulties to Turkish Cypriots who work in the free areasTurkish Cypriot daily KIBRIS newspaper (03.12.03) reports that some Turkish Cypriots who work in the free areas of Cyprus did not go to their jobs yesterday because the so-called police at the Ledra Palace barricade asked them to fulfil an "income tax document". Those who refused to do this were not permitted to cross over to the free areas and go to their jobs.
Those who were not permitted to cross over, adds KIBRIS, organized a protest march. Their representatives told the paper that they think that the new practice of the regime was unnecessary and that the "policemen" asked them about their working place and their salary.
According to KIBRIS, about 1.200 workers marched to the residence of so-called "Prime Minister" Dervis Eroglu and lay a black wreath, in front of the gate.
During their protest march, the workers met with the car of the Turkish Cypriot leader, Rauf Denktas who was heading to his residence. The workers shouted slogans calling Mr Denktas to resign and complaining that "the status quo is frittering us away".
Mr Denktas said on the issue that the regime would not ask the Turkish Cypriot workers in the free areas to pay income tax and that the "authorities" of his regime are conducting a research in order to define the real number of the Turkish Cypriots who work in the free areas.
Meanwhile, the so-called spokesman of the "police", Mr Niyazi Demirel said that the documents were prepared to facilitate the everyday crossing of the workers.
During the protest, the leaders of the opposition parties and representatives of some trade unions joined the workers and expressed their support.
 Akinci said "yes" but the Republican Turkish Party's leadership denied the invitation of Ali Erel for holding a joint rally of the opposition parties before the "elections"Turkish Cypriot daily AFRIKA newspaper (03.12.03) reports that the chairman of the Peace and Democracy Movement Mustafa (PDM) Akinci replied positively to the invitation of the chairman of the Solution and EU Party, Mr Ali Erel for organising a common rally, while the Republican Turkish Party-United Forces' (RTP-UF) leadership turned down the invitation.
Mr Erel called on yesterday the other two opposition leaders to participate in a joint rally prior to the forthcoming December "elections"..
Mr Akinci stated that his Party is ready for a joint rally with the two other opposition Parties. However, on the CTP-UF part, the Party's general secretary, Mr Ferdi Sabit Soyer stated that the Party finds it unnecessary to add a common rally to the intensive work and the duties that the Party has due to the "elections".
 Talat stated that his party will not co-operate after the "elections" with the parties of the status-quoTurkish Cypriot daily KIBRIS newspaper (03.12.03) reports that Mr Mehmet Ali Talat, the leader of the Republican Turkish Party-United Forces (RTP-UF) stated that his party will not co-operate with the parties of the status-quo after the forthcoming December "elections".
Speaking during a meeting at occupied Dikomo village, Mr Talat stated that everything that is heard regarding the establishment of a coalition "government" of RTP-UF with the National Unity Party and the Democratic Party is just gossip. "A coalition with the status quo is not possible", he stressed.
 Ten "ministers" and three "officials" of the pseudostate were given revolvers as presentTurkish Cypriot daily ORTAM newspaper (03.12.03) reports that ten so-called ministers of the pseudostate and three "high-ranking officials" were given revolvers as present.
The revolvers are Turkish made: Sarsilmaz Kilinc 2000 Light label gun, with a 9x19mm diameter. The revolver were given to the so-called deputy Prime Minister Serdar Denktas, and the following "ministers": Tahsin Ertugruloglu, Mehmet Bayram, Dr Mehmet AlBayrak, Ilkay Kamil, Irsen Kucuk, Dr Ahmet Kasif, Dr Mustafa Arabacioglu, Salih Cosar. It was also given to the bureaucrats Mustafa T. Tokay, Mustafa Kemal Kiracioglu and Ahmet Ozyalcin.
The paper stresses that the pseudo prime minister Dervis Eroglu is not among the persons that were given the revolver. The paper also writes that it is not known yet why the revolvers were given to these persons.
 Ali Talip Ozdemir not to run for Motherland Party's leadershipMainland Turkish Daily News (03.12.03) reports that Turkey/s Motherland Party (ANAP) Chairman Ali Talip Ozdemir announced yesterday that he will not run for leadership in the coming General Congress of his party on December 13, 14.
Mr Ozdemir told an Anatolia Agency reporter that despite all attempts to build unity in the centre of Turkish politics, they failed in achieving that.
In last year's November 3rd elections which brought the Justice and Development Party to power, the majority of traditional parties in Turkish politics, including MP remained below the 10 percent threshold, thus left outside Parliament.
Meanwhile, it was reported that MP executive board member Ahmet Ozal resigned from his party yesterday. Ozal was the son of Turgut Ozal, the party's founder and Turkey's former president.
 Court of Appeals approves Erbakan's sentence and ends his political lifeMainland Turkish Daily News (03.12.03) reports that the Turkish Court of Appeals on Tuesday approved the jail term against veteran politician Necmettin Erbakan. Erbakan was sentenced to two years imprisonment for embezzling funds from the defunct Welfare Party (WP).
The case began in 1998 when the Finance Ministry of Turkey asked prosecutors to investigate the finances of WP, saying that the party had falsified records and hid cash reserves. Finance Ministry inspectors said that $3.6 million was missing from WP party accounts.
This decision means, the end of Erbakan's political life, banned from becoming a member of a political party and loses his right to be elected as a deputy in Parliament. According to the Lawmakers Law a person convicted of crimes such as embezzlement, abuse of religion and bribery, cannot be elected as a deputy in Turkey. The Political Party Law also bars those who have been convicted of these crimes.