|Tuesday, 15 October 2019|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Press and Other Media, 01-09-06
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH PRESS AND OTHER MEDIA No.170/01 6.9.01
[A] NEWS ITEMS
[B] COMMENTS AND EDITORIALS
[A] NEWS ITEMS
 The Turkish Cypriot leader rejects U.N invitation for the resumption of peace talks on Cyprus in New YorkAnatolia news agency (5/9/01) reported that the Turkish Cypriot leader, Mr Rauf Denktas, has announced that he has rejected the invitation extended by Alvaro de Soto, the UN Secretary-General's special Cyprus envoy, to resume the Cyprus talks in New York on 12 September on the grounds that "a common ground has yet to be established."
Speaking at a news conference he held at his office, Denktas said that he has conveyed to Mr De Soto the Turkish Cypriot wish for continuing to work toward the establishment of a common ground, adding: "We do not believe that it is beneficial to resume the process in the near future without having established a common ground. Therefore, the TRNC has not agreed to the date of 12 September."
Noting that the contacts that have been held with De Soto for the last few days were directed toward establishing a common ground for a renewed and strengthened process, Denktas recalled the meeting he held with UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan in Salzburg saying that the Turkish Cypriots support the efforts exerted by the Secretary-General within the framework of his mission of good offices and that they will continue to make constructive contributions.
Noting that at the onset of their contacts with De Soto the UN envoy was told that a sufficient ground will render the process successful, Denktas continued: "Such a ground, however, has yet to be established."
Pointing out that the Turkish Cypriot side is waiting for a proposal on a future date thus enabling activities aimed at preparing the necessary ground, Denktas said that De Soto is planning another visit to Cyprus. Denktas said that he will always respond positively to any invitation to be extended for a meeting with the UN Secretary-General but that this invitation was for comprehensive talks on the Cyprus issue.
Denktas said that during his meetings with De Soto he, casting aside all his principles, proposed to meet with President Clerides but that he did not know whether his proposal was conveyed to Clerides. Denktas said that the invitation he extended was not successful.
Denktas said that the issue that most upset him was that a scenario that has been prepared two months in advance was implemented to the letter. Denktas said that he had earlier declared to the media that "there was a scenario," that this scenario included the resumption of the Cyprus talks at the end of August or beginning of September, that De Soto would be arriving in Cyprus towards the end of August to conduct a shuttle diplomacy between the two sides, and that he would invite the sides to meetings in New York on 12-13 September. Denktas expressed his "profound grief" over the fact that this scenario, which the Turkish Cypriot side saw accidentally in official documents, had come true.
Noting that those who claimed that "there is no scenario" were confronted with it, Denktas said that his trust in certain institutions had been shaken.
In reply to a question on the Cyprus report discussed in the European Parliament, Denktas said that no one can drag the Turkish Cypriots toward a direction they do not want, adding that the Cyprus issue cannot be resolved through such resolutions.
 Turkey backs Denktas' decision to reject U.N invitation for talksTRT 2 (5/9/01) broadcast that Turkey has declared that the Turkish Cypriot leader Rauf Denktas is justified in his request for determining a later date for the resumption of the Cyprus talks, adding that it shares the views expressed by Denktas on the issue.
The Foreign Ministry issued a statement noting that an atmosphere that will ensure the success of a new process to be initiated within the UN framework has not yet been created. The statement continued: Mr Denktas has asked the United Nations to propose a later date in a bid to continue the work being conducted on the issue and to enable the initiation of a process after the necessary ground is established. We find Mr Denktas' request on the issue justified and we share his views. We believe that only in this manner can the new process be successful.
 Statement by the spokesman of the Turkish Foreign MinistryAccording to Ankara Anatolia (5/9/01) the Turkish Foreign Ministry Spokesman Huseyin Dirioz said on Wednesday that Greece and the Greek Cypriot side at this stage should sincerely help a solution that is appropriate to the facts on the island.
Dirioz responded to the questions of reporters at a weekly news briefing.
When asked how he evaluated the statement of Greek Foreign Minister George Papandreou that they wanted a united Cyprus to be a member of the European Union (EU), and that this was a good opportunity for Turkish Cypriots, Dirioz said: ``What Greece and the Greek Cypriot side should do at this stage is not to point out the benefits that the EU membership would bring to the sides, but to have a sincere approach that would contribute to the solution of Cyprus issue according to the facts on the island.``
Responding to another question, Dirioz said the news reports which appeared in media showed how difficult the Cyprus issue was, and noted that, ``as the Turkish side we regard as beneficial the continuation of the efforts of the U.N. Secretary-General and his representative to find a mutual basis.``
 Denktas calls for secret Cyprus summitUnder the above title Turkish Daily News (6/9/01) publishes the following report by Saadet Oruc:
Turkish Cypriot leader Rauf Denktas offered a senior U.N. official to organize a secret Cyprus summit with Greek Cypriot leader Glafcos Clerides last Sunday, but the offer was turned down, a top Turkish government official said.
Foreign Ministry Undersecretary Faruk Logoglu told the Turkish Daily News the offer of Denktas to Alvero de Soto, the U.N. Secretary-General's special envoy to Cyprus, was rejected by the U.N. official on grounds that the atmosphere was not "appropriate under current circumstances" on the island.
The revelation of Logoglu came immediately after Denktas on Wednesday refused an invitation from the United Nations for the resumption of the proximity talks in New York on Sept. 12.
Undersecretary Logoglu revealed the reasons for the refusal of the U.N. invitation for the launching of the proximity talks. "First of all, there was nothing to assure the Turkish Cypriots," said Logoglu, stating that more efforts are needed for a new process, which is aimed at bringing a solution to the Cyprus problem.
"The United Nations has not yet been able to put anything new on the table since November 2000," Logoglu said late on Wednesday.
"In order to assure the Turkish Cypriots to take part in proximity talks, a new partnership and a new framework are necessary," Faruk Logoglu said, responding to a question, and he admitted that there would be a prize in terms of public relations for Denktas. "The two sides should be accepted as equal," said Logoglu, repeating a well-known Turkish thesis on the Cyprus cause.
Denktas: No ground for talks
A senior U.N. official on Wednesday invited leaders of the two communities of Cyprus to a "new and reinvigorated phase" of Cyprus talks aimed at bringing an end to the 38-year-old problem on the eastern Mediterranean island, but the Turkish Cypriot leader said he saw no grounds for talks.
Turkish Cypriot leader Rauf Denktas said after talks with de Soto that no offer had been made that would bring him back to U.N.-sponsored talks with Greek Cypriot leaders.
Denktas spoke minutes after de Soto told reporters at the Ledra Palace headquarters of the U.N. Force in Cyprus (UNFICYP) in the Nicosia buffer zone dividing the city into Greek Cypriot south and Turkish Cypriot north that he had invited Denktas and Greek Cypriot leader Glafcos Clerides for separate consultations in New York next week. This could be a first step to resumption of talks deadlocked last November.
"The necessary foundation has not been established for us to attend any form of negotiations," Denktas told a news conference in the north of Cyprus. Northern Cyprus has operated independently of the south since Turkish troops intervened in the island in 1974 in response to an Athens-backed coup aimed at union with Greece. But the international community recognizes only the Greek Cypriot administration as sovereign over the whole Mediterranean island.
"We desire the continuation of work for the establishment of a foundation. Without establishment of a foundation, we do not find beneficial the resumption of the talks at an early date. Thus ... we do not give our approval to the date of Sept. 12," Denktas said.
Denktas stressed that the Turkish Cypriot side was not rejecting talks nor was against a settlement on the island, but before talks could resume there was need to bring a clarification to the status of the Turkish Cypriots.
EP approves Poos report
Reports on the candidate states of the European Union, with which the full membership negotiations had been launched, were approved at the General Assembly of the European Parliament.
The report on Cyprus, which was prepared by the European Parliament's reporter on Cyprus, was also approved by the General Assembly.
In the report, where strict criticisms had been directed to Turkey and the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus it was stated that Turkey would be obliged to forget EU membership if it invaded Northern Cyprus.
In Wednesday's session of the European Parliament, reports on the recent situation regarding the 12 candidate countries were approved. In the report penned by Cyprus reporter Jacques Poos, Rauf Denktas was being criticized for withdrawing from the proximity talks of the United Nations.
The report also said that Turkey's annexation of Northern Cyprus would mean the end of the goal of full membership for Ankara to the European Union. Pointing out the problems from the division of the island, the Poos report continued by commenting that the Greek Cypriot side was ready for membership economically and politically.
The report stated that last week's meeting between Denktas and EU commissioner responsible for enlargement Gunther Verheugen was pleasing. In Ankara, the Turkish Foreign Ministry expressed full support for Denktas and said the Turkish Cypriot leader was justified in asking the United Nations to make a call for the resumption of the talks at a later date when a foundation was established.
 Turkey claims that «wrong steps» are being made on the issue of CyprusAmbassador Nihat Akyol, Turkey`s permanent Representative to the European Union has claimed that the European Parliament (EP) is making «wrong steps» on the issue of Cyprus.
According to KIBRIS (06.09.01), after the decision taken yesterday by the EP regarding Cyprus` accession to the EU, Mr Akyol alleged that this behaviour of the EP does not help the solution of the Cyprus problem.
Mr Akyol noted that no expressions accusing Turkey and the pseudostate were used during the discussions made yesterday by representatives of the European Council and the European Commission. Therefore, he added, with this decision, the EP is opposing the Council and the Commission.
Ambassador Akyol also claimed that the language and the substance of the recent report of Jacques Poos on Cyprus are contrary to initiatives towards finding a solution to the Cyprus problem.
Meanwhile, Turkish mainland «Cumhuriyet» (06.09.01) writes that Huseyin Dirioz, Turkish Foreign Ministry spokesman, stated yesterday at his weekly meeting with the Press that no changes must be expected in Turkey's policy on Cyprus, because of the report of Mr Poos. «Our views on the issue of Cyprus are very clear. There is no question of any changes in these (views)», underlined Mr Dirioz, who called on Greece and the Greek Cypriot side to behave in a «realistic and sincere» way.
 Ismail Cem is going to BrusselsThe Turkish Foreign Minister, Ismail Cem is going to Brussels on 8 September in order to participate in an unofficial meeting of the Foreign Ministers of the member countries with their counterparts of the candidate countries, said yesterday Foreign Ministry Spokesman, Huseyin Dirioz at his weekly meeting with the Press.
According to KIBRIS (06.09.01), Mr Dirioz said that Mr Cem will meet the High Representative for Common Foreign and Security Policy, Javier Solana, the Commission member responsible for Foreign Affairs, Chris Patten, the Commissioner for Enlargement Gunther Verheugen and the member of the European Parliament, Alain Lamassure. Mr Cem is to return to Turkey on Tuesday.
Furthermore, Mr Dirioz added that the Turkish Foreign Minister will go to New York around the end of the month in order to participate in the United Nations General Assembly.
 The Turkish Foreign Ministry's reaction to the EP resolution on CyprusAccording to Anatolian News Agency (5/9/01) the Turkish Foreign Ministry, reacting to the resolution of the European Parliament, issued a statement alleging that there are two different nations in Cyprus and they have two different states.
The statement went on:
"Realities cannot be changed by claiming that so-called `Cyprus Republic` represents the whole island. It is clear that acceptance of Greek Cypriot administration's EU membership before a solution based on compromise between the two sides in the island will negatively affect EU`s future and peace in the Mediterranean.`` Alleging that it was a unilateral report which did not take the essence of the Cyprus issue into consideration, it said that it was a development that would negatively affect the chance to find a solution.
The Foreign Ministry said that as Turkey had stated on several occasions so far it did not accept any connection between EU membership and the Cyprus issue.
[B] COMMENTS AND EDITORIALS
 Sami Kohen on the resolution of the European Parliament on Cyprus` EU accessionSami Kohen, writing in his regular column "Commentary" of Milliyet (6/9/01) under the title "What may Come out of This Report?", writes the following:
"The European Parliament's latest resolution about Cyprus has come as no surprise. A report on Cyprus, drawn up by Cyprus rapporteur Jacques Poos from Luxembourg, who is believed to be biased in favour of Greek Cypriots, has been fully endorsed by an overwhelming majority in a plenary session of the EU Parliament after it was approved by its Foreign Affairs Committee.
We should admit that it was a considerable success from the standpoint of the Greek Cypriots and the Greeks.
The Greek-Greek Cypriot side naturally tried to push through the report, which was in favour of their cause. However, its adoption by 14 other members of the EU in addition to Greece, without making any change to the draft report, has actually cast a shadow on this institution's role and responsibility.
The report, as adopted by the EU Parliament, not only guarantees South Cyprus' membership, but also exhibits a stance against the Turkish side.
The report says that "the Cypriot government is conducting membership negotiations on behalf of all the Cypriots." This phrase is only one of the sections of the report that demonstrates the extent to which the Parliament is overlooking the facts. Other sections of the report include similar nonsense conclusions. For example, it speaks of Turkey's intention "to annex North Cyprus as its eighty second province." It issues a threat that any such attempt would put an end to Turkey's quest for joining the EU.
The report includes the same uncompromising - and biased - opinions voiced by Poos in the Parliament. For example, the whole blame for the failure in the proximity talks is put on (Turkish Cypriot Leader) Rauf Denktas. It concludes that the "Cypriot Republic" (that is to say only the Greek section) would be admitted to the EU even if the Cyprus question remains unsolved.
Such reports are submitted to the EU Commission and the Council of Ministers only as a "recommendation". In other words, conclusions expressed by the rapporteur and their endorsement by the parliamentarians do not necessarily mean that they will be adopted by the EU as its official stance.
However, Commissioner Gunther Verheugen's recent address to the parliament has indicated that the EU's general tendency is in favor of a "united Cyprus."
In the light of previous statements made by many EU officials, who have said that Cyprus (Greek Cypriot section) would be admitted to the EU whether or not the problem is solved. The latest news received from the Brussels shows that this trend is gathering momentum.
It is obvious that the Turkish side will come under more pressure in the coming weeks.
Creative initiatives to be taken by the Turkish diplomacy will be needed during the forthcoming period. An experienced Turkish diplomat has rightfully pointed out that Ankara should develop new formulae and solutions on three issues - domestic reforms, Cyprus and the ESDP -, which are interrelated and affect its relations with the EU.
Different groups and institutions ranging from the parliament to non-governmental organizations should contribute to these efforts. For instance, our political parties and parliamentarians should maintain a close dialogue with their counterparts in the European Parliament. Had such efforts been made sufficiently in the past couple of weeks at least some European parliamentarians could have been convinced to vote against the Cyprus report."