TO ALL PARTICIPANTS
OF THE 19TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF PHILOSOPHY
We are pleased to announce that the preparations for the Ninenteenth International Conference of Philosophy are well under way and we anticipate an academically sound, lively, amicable and productive Conference. This Circular is to inform you of matters relating to the Conference
1.The Conference will start on Sunday 15th of July 2007 in "Dido" Conference Hall of Doryssa Seaside Resort in Pythagorion.
The time for registration is at 16.30-17.30 and the OFFICIAL OPENING at 18.00. Four participants will speak on the Evening of 15th of July. After the end of the Session there will be a reception for the Conference participants.
2. It is expected that the Conference will continue until (and including) 21st of July 2007. Those attending the Conference in Pythagorion for the first time are informed that the Sessions are from 8.30 or 9.00-13.30 and 17.00-20.30. During the afternoon break, delegates are able to enjoy the sea and sandy beach in front of the Doryssa Bay Hotel less than fifty yards from the Conference Room.
3. With regard to the other events during the Conference, participants will be informed on arrival in PYTHAGORION, and they will receive the full Conference programme (which is a printed book of approximately 260 pages) during the registration, in the first day of the Conference. In short the various events are scheduled as follows:
a. ON TUESDAY EVENING:THE CONFERENCE GALA DINNER
b.ON WEDNESDAY EVENING: THE DIARIES OF SOCRATES. A PLAY FOR FOUR VOICES BY THOMAS M. ROBINSON
c. ON THURSDAY EVENING: THE GREEK EVENING- CONFERENCE BEACH PARTY
d. ON FRIDAY EVENING: THE OBSTACLE OF DELFI, A PLAY BY JOHN POULAKOS
4. Concerning the events at the Conference, participants are kindly requested to attend all the Conference proceedings and contribute through their presence to the creation of a true academic dialogue and the kind of warm atmosphere and friendly communication that are part of the aims of the Conferences organised by the International Association of Greek Philosophy (IAGP) and the International Center of Greek Philosophy and Culture (ICGPC). This is a small sacrifice for the good of the Conference.
5. Participants can reach the island of Samos either by ship or by plane. The ships to Samos depart from Piraeus and the preferred destination for Conference participants is the port of Vathi. From Vathi to Pythagorion there is a distance of approximately 17km. There are local buses from one place to another. However, if one arrives later at night, it will be necessary to take a taxi. Since the airport at Samos is in the Pythagorion area, the participants coming by plane will arrive directly to Pythagorion, and the airport is less than five minutes drive away from the Doryssa Seaside Resort and Pythagorion. There are charter flights from European Cities directly to Samos ( Pythagorion). The Organizing Committee wishes to stress to all participants traveling to Samos by plane, the importance of making airline reservations to and from the island in advance. To avoid difficulties, flights from Samos to Athens at this high peak tourist period should be booked in advance. Travel arrangements to and from the island of Samos are the responsibility of individual participants.
6. The Organizing Committee would like to use this opportunity to draw the attention of all the participants to the fact that, due to the obligations and responsibilities already undertaken by the Committee, any cancellation of participation that comes after 15th of June 2007 creates tremendous organizational and financial problems to the Conference.
7. We would also like to kindly remind the participants of the matters regarding Conference Papers. As has already been announced, participants may have (in addition to their Abstract which is published in the Conference Programme) two versions of their Papers, i.e., a. one to be read at the Conference (with 10, 15, 20 or 30 minutes duration, depending on the time allocated in the Conference Programme and in the Letter of Acceptance, which each speaker received from the President of the Organising Committee) and b. other being the completed final version of the Paper prepared for publication in the books to be published in the ICGPC's Ionia Publications (whose maximum length can be up to 15 printed pages, notes included). In case a participant has not submitted the Final Version to the Organizing Committee before or during the Conference, he/she should send it to the Committee no later than September 30, 2007 in order for the Paper to be considered for publication. As it is known, it has been the policy of the Conference from the very beginning that a) the Academic Committee of ICOGPC reserves the right of giving final approval and recommendation as to which papers will be published, and that b) the exclusive copyright of papers to be published belongs to ICOGPC, unless otherwise stated.
8. As usual, a one-day Tour of Samos could be arranged on 21st of July 2007. However, it is necessary to apply in advance (using PARTICIPATION FORM No.12), because the holding of the Tour depends on whether enough people declare interest. Therefore, applications should be sent to the Organizing Committee as soon as possible and no later than 10th of July 2007. The applicants will be informed upon their arrival whether or not the Tour will take place. As has been the case in the previous years, if the Tour takes place, departure will be between 8.30 - 9.00 a.m., returning at around 18.00 p.m.
9. For participation in the other Conference events the relevant Forms should be used and sent no later than 10th of July 2007.
Once again in anticipation of an enjoyable Conference in a civilised, intellectual and pleasant environment, we look forward to seeing you in SAMOS, in the very heart of the Aegean Culture.
With best wishes
Professor of Philosophy
President of the Organising Committee
SECOND CIRCULAR, JUNE 2007
a.TEL.0030-210-9956955 & FAX: 0030-210-9923281.
b. TEL. (DURING THE CONFERENCE):(0030)- 22730-88300
c. DORYSSA SEASIDE RESORT- HOTEL:(0030)-22730-88300, Fax:22730-61463
d. website: www.doryssa-bay.gr, e-mail:email@example.com