The European Parliament of the European Union.
on the case of Katerina and Vassilis Nicola
The European Parliament,
- having regard to the UK Government's policy on the issue of Cypriot refugees,
- having especial regard to the case of Katerina and Vassilis Nicola who lost their home
in the Northern sector of Cyprus when Turkish troops invaded the island in 1974, and who
cannot return there,
- concerned that the UK Government has issued Katerina and Vassilis Nicola with a
- whereas Katerina and Vassilis Nicola have taken sanctuary from the UK Government
in a London church.
- concerned that the UK Government's 1982 Concessionary Policy regarding the status
of Cypriot refugees, which grants indefinite leave to remain in the UK to 600 Cypriots who
fall within the Home Office's definition of displaced persons, does NOT apply to those
Cypriot refugees who did not enter the UK immediately after the 1974 war, but lived in
refugee camps waiting for the outcome of the war crisis prior to coming to the UK,
- concerned that the fewer than 50 Cypriots who fall outside the 1982 government's
definition of displaced persons and have remained in the UK are treated as illegal
immigrants and are facing deportation,
- Asks that:
(a) the 1982 Concessionary Policy be widened to embrace all the remaining Cypriot
refugees in the UK,
(b) the UK Government re-open the case of Katerina and Vassilis Nicola and withdraw
forthwith the deportation order against them, and that they may be granted the status of
refugees and given indefinite leave to stay in the UK,
(c) the UK Government stop all deportations and grant indefinite leave to stay in the UK to
all remaining Cypriot refugees living in the UK,
2. Instructs its President to forward this resolution to the Commission and Council and the
governments of the Member States.
[Mirrors||Home||Brief Overview||Detailed History||Constitutional Aspects||Enclaved Greek Cypriots||Missing Persons||Destruction of Cultural Heritage||Violations of Human Rights||Foreign Press Articles||United Nations||European Union||Greek Government||Related Links||Search||Feedback]
Number of accesses since Thu Feb 8 13:44:06 EST 1996:
Giorgos Zacharia (email@example.com) © 1995-1999.
Last modified: Fri Jun 21 10:58:45 EDT 1996